Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Werewolf Lovers...

ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon. This book is a remarkable tale of pulse-pounding excitement with a uniquely sympathetic, fascinating portrait of the werewolf as nobel warrior-and conflicted being. Complex, compelling and utterly real.

Yes, it's a horror novel. Yes, it's a werewolf novel. Yes, it's a World War II novel. Yes, it's a spy novel. But it's also all of these things wrapped into one.

Robert R. McCammon has, in The Wolf's Hour, written the apotheosis of the werewolf novel. It embraces the mythology while at the same time expanding and transcending it in ways never done before. The Wolf's Hour is such an ambitious undertaking that it should have failed. I mean, it is a werewolf novel while being a spy novel and combines the two seamlessly. It is a credit to McCammon's ability that it succeeds and then some.

Young Mikhail Gallatinov's family is killed on a picnic while he is chasing a lost kite into the nearby woods. As the killers are looking for him, they are attacked by a pack of wolves who bite Mikhail but do not kill him, instead bringing him back to their home. Turns out they are werewolves led by Wiktor, who immediately adopts Mikhail as a son, taking him under his paw to teach him the ways of being a man and a wolf. Along the way, Wiktor poses a question that leaves Mikhail/Michael pondering for the rest of the book: "What is the lycanthrope in the eyes of God?"

McCammon's powers of description are awesome. Just from reading this book, I feel that if I were ever turned into a werewolf, that I would recognize the symptoms beforehand. His descriptions of the changes and the various personalities that the pack have--not only as people but as wolves--are another part of the joy of reading it.

The Wolf's Hour is really two books in one. The first half interlaces Mikhail's life among the pack with "Michael Gallatin"'s preparation for his mission in the second half. We follow young Mikhail through his trials as the transformation sickens and nearly kills him; he watches the others metamorphose but he resists a full change; and Wiktor teaches him Shakespeare, Dante, and world history from all the books amassed in their home.

The second half mainly concerns Michael's mission, following him as he accompanies German film star Chesna van Dorne to discover the meaning of "Iron Fist" which takes him through a concentration camp, on a train playing a cat-and-mouse game with big game hunter Harry Sandler, and eventually preventing the Nazis' attempt to prevent D-Day. This part is still good but I think I would have enjoyed it more were I a WWII buff, which I am not. War as a subject does not interest me, so I was reading this part hoping for Michael to change into a wolf, which he does often enough.

The ending leaves room for a sequel and McCammon has said that we would be interested in revisiting this character--the only one he has said that about. (One would think, however, that his recently announced retirement would prevent that from ever taking place.) Michael Gallatin is one of the more interesting characters--definitely--that I have read and will be on the lookout for this purported sequel. But in the meantime, I'll have to satisfy myself with McCammon's other novels.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Yup...Wolf's Hour's a pretty decent read.

Wish it had been longer.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Wow - surprised to see this one. I picked it up at a used book sale a few years ago for like 10 cents, and have since read it at least three times. Certainly not a Pulitzer Prize winner, but a great werewolf story.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Originally posted by tianup@9 May 2003 - 02:29
    Wow - surprised to see this one. I picked it up at a used book sale a few years ago for like 10 cents, and have since read it at least three times. Certainly not a Pulitzer Prize winner, but a great werewolf story.
    I normally am not thrilled with pulitzer material myself, I would much rather read more fascinating material than what normally beckons the pulitzer. As far as werewolf material I would place this among the best for certain.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by ShareDaddy@9 May 2003 - 17:19

I normally am not thrilled with pulitzer material myself, I would much rather read more fascinating material than what normally beckons the pulitzer. As far as werewolf material I would place this among the best for certain.
    I fully agree. A very exciting read. Know of any other good werewolf novels?

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Originally posted by tianup+9 May 2003 - 11:56--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tianup @ 9 May 2003 - 11:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ShareDaddy@9 May 2003 - 17:19

I fully agree. A very exciting read. Know of any other good werewolf novels? [/b][/quote]
    The Wolfen
    Published August 1978 (paperback 20 June 1979, feature film 1981)

He would devour the human female. Then the male who loved her. And with them would die their knowledge of the creatures who had fed on human flesh since days now remembered only in horror stories.
    Detectives Becky Neff and George Wilson knew it was just a matter of time. If what they had discovered about the Wolfen were possible, they were being stalked by thinking creatures whose ferocious powers to kill reduced all of mankind to helpless victims.
    And no one believed. They couldn’t. The panic could destroy every city in the world.

I read this back in 80 or 81 just before the movie came out, back then I loved it, could not tell you what I would think of it now-a-days. Stephen King&#39;s Silver Bullet was better than the film, however as I said nothing comes close to this one.

Most other novels I have read regarding wolves were not entirely were-wolf material, simply strayed into the genre occasionally.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Will check it out after I get into the Lumley stuff. I saw the movie years ago, and don&#39;t really remember it. I&#39;ve found the same thing about werewolf stories - books usually touch on it, but very few are dedicated to the lycanthrope. I remember reading one when I was younger that was great, but can&#39;t remember what it was - presently racking my brain. I&#39;ve done searches for werewolf books and can&#39;t seem to find it. However, if you dig werewolves, check out the movie Ginger Snaps - best Werewolf tale I&#39;ve seen.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by tianup@12 May 2003 - 14:54
    Will check it out after I get into the Lumley stuff. I saw the movie years ago, and don&#39;t really remember it. I&#39;ve found the same thing about werewolf stories - books usually touch on it, but very few are dedicated to the lycanthrope. I remember reading one when I was younger that was great, but can&#39;t remember what it was - presently racking my brain. I&#39;ve done searches for werewolf books and can&#39;t seem to find it. However, if you dig werewolves, check out the movie Ginger Snaps - best Werewolf tale I&#39;ve seen.
    Thanks, I just read up on the movie you suggested HERE and I can say it is unlike anything I have ever seen for sure. Thanks.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Cool site - didn&#39;t know it was there. It has a lot of stuff from the movie - don&#39;t check out too much on the site before you see it or it&#39;ll ruin it for ya.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Anyone read this book yet, I need some back-up on the thumbs up side, please reply if you have read it, good or bad thoughts welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast