Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mic problems

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    My mic is working, but I have to scream right in front of it for my voice to be detected at all. What gives?

Sound card is a Sigma Tel Audio nVIDIA MCP55 - High Definition Audio Controller.
    Mic is a Logitech mic that worked perfectly on my other PC.

I've tried plugging it in the both the rear and front mic plugs and gone through the voice wizard which tests the sound, etc. Both front and back seem to work, but again, I have to scream right up against it for any sound detection at all.

I get the same result when using the Voice Wizard, Teamspeak, in-game chat, or Windows Voice Recorder.

I even have the MIC Booster boxes checked.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Skizo; 09-14-2006 at 06:17 PM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I found this while searching. Sounds pretty similar.

http://forums.techsmith.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4239

I've been reading through the Dell forums, and it seems to be a pretty regular problem. Would buying a USB mic work, or do I need to buy a sound card?
    Last edited by Skizo; 09-14-2006 at 07:09 PM.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is the problem that you don't hear your voice, or that software or others don't hear it?

If it is just you, you probably have the microphone mute box checked in the playback settings. That doesn't cut out the microphone input, but it stops input from the mike being fed through to the speakers.

Alternatively, if it affects everyone (and software) you may have the microphone settings on the recording side of the audio control set very low.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Is the problem that you don't hear your voice, or that software or others don't hear it?

If it is just you, you probably have the microphone mute box checked in the playback settings. That doesn't cut out the microphone input, but it stops input from the mike being fed through to the speakers.

Alternatively, if it affects everyone (and software) you may have the microphone settings on the recording side of the audio control set very low.
    Sorry, if that wasn't clear. My voice cannot be heard by anyone unless I yell into the mic. Even then, I am barely audible.

As for the mic settings, I have them turned all the way up on the playback side as well as the recording side, and I've tried both the front and rear jacks.

How about the other? --> Would buying a USB mic work, or do I need to buy a sound card?

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Well, it sounds like you've tried the obvious.

If you can borrow a USB mike it is certainly worth a try. Since it won't be routed through the current drivers there's a reasonable chance that option could be effective, but I'd try it out first if possible.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Don't know anybody with one.

I'll try buying one and being extra careful whilst unwrapping it.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What drivers are you using?

I've seen similar issues with incorrect drivers used for some AC'97 chips. The drivers install fine but mike volume was way too low. Installing the correct drivers solved the problem.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    What drivers are you using?

I've seen similar issues with incorrect drivers used for some AC'97 chips. The drivers install fine but mike volume was way too low. Installing the correct drivers solved the problem.
    This one:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=165080

I tried updating and reinstalling prior to my original post, but, no change.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Do you have the CD that came with it? Maybe try those drivers.

Sound card is a Sigma Tel Audio nVIDIA MCP55 - High Definition Audio Controller.
    Another idea comes to mind. Have you tried nVidia drivers?
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_...2_win2kxp.html

Or the nVidia MCP chipset drivers?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    You'll remember the problems I had a couple weeks ago with setting up this PC? I had to install all the drivers manually, from the disc that originally came with the PC. I know it was the same driver as I posted though as the number/label is the same.

I have not tried reinstalling the chipset drivers. Can I even do that at this point?

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast