Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to "disguise" torrent downloading?

exo_body's Avatar Poster
    Hi, im currently at college and i have access to the internet in my room, however you are not allowed to download illegally or anything like that. i was wondering is there anyway to "disguise" what im downloading or anything like that? All help is appreciated!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    zak2210's Avatar The One BT Rep: +4
    Use a proxy thingy, I think Hide IP is the program.
    And a firewall that supports P2P protection such as Kaspersky and one more thing that is said to protect you from the big guys..Peerguardian 2

Download those and you should be safe

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Hide IP only works for browsing...U can try enabling encryption in utorrent (set it to forced). I think he's concerned abt the college authorities detecting p2p traffic, not the MPAA or RIAA...so Peerguardian is useless too.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    yeah, its the college im worried about. its a good college and their network seems to be set up pretty well and im just worried, i dont want to download anything unless im totally sure they wont find out what it is

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    You'll not be able to hide what you d/l. They have the tools to monitor whatever you do. My advice: don't go into it, as it's guarenteed you'll get caught.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    its not a guarenteed caught
    I did it for a year at my college, but they could detect it easally if they knew the kind of packets torrent files send out

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by 99dimes View Post
    I did it for a year at my college, but they could detect it easally if they knew the kind of packets torrent files send out
    They dont even need to look at packets being sent and recieved. Its pretty obvious what your up to by looking at the amount you download and upload. If you download 30 gigs and upload 30 gigs a month it just screams file sharing. current connections is also a give away being connected to 30 ip addresses at once isnt very common when web browsing but upwards of that is for p2p.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 99dimes View Post
    They dont even need to look at packets being sent and recieved. Its pretty obvious what your up to by looking at the amount you download and upload. If you download 30 gigs and upload 30 gigs a month it just screams file sharing. current connections is also a give away being connected to 30 ip addresses at once isnt very common when web browsing but upwards of that is for p2p.

Doesnt mean filesharing.... Theres lots of stuff you can do legally even transferring 200gigs a month. Some colleges allow you to host your own domains off your pc there. He could easily be hosting a website that gets alot of traffic

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    exo_body's Avatar Poster
    lol,thanks for all your help btw!Im still unsure what to do. A guy suggested changing the port used in Utorrent to the standard one on msn and going on late at night when downloading, that way it wont be the normal torrent ports. does that make sense to anyone?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    You can change it to any variety of ports. Utorrent even has the option to always start on a differant port as well. (Works good if your not using a router or firewall which blocks ports)

I would just set it on random port. Then turn the encryption on which several people have already mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast