Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the most noobish thing you've ever done?

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    We all know how you're all uber leet haxors right about now, but what about back in the day? We were all noobs once. We've all made really noobish mistakes... so I ask, what's yours?

Once (this was way back when I didn't know too much) I was using my PC, and I noticed all the fonts in my Internet Explorer window were tiny. I couldn't figure out why. I couldn't read any text, and I couldn't make the text bigger... so what did I do? Format and clean install of Windows.

I literally went through the entire format HDD, install OS, reinstall everything process... because my fonts were small. Man do I feel stupid.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Just a few week after I got my first computer...
    I reinstalled windows 98 on it (because it was a floor model and they told us we'd have to do this anyway [and we got a discount ]) and couldn't figure out why the product key was a few haracters too short and not being accepted (uh oh!) so my dad called the place we bought the computer at and it turns out we were trying to put in our "Microsoft Works 98" key instead of the windows 98 one.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    In desperation..
    I once called microsoft in the USA for help.......

Last edited by 100%; 09-25-2006 at 09:43 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    The first computer I ever used had one floppy disc and no hard drive. The floppy disc was of the five and a quarter inch, actually floppy variety. You booted the computer from one disc, then put another in to run a programme, then saved data to a third. When they brought new ones out with 2 floppy drives we thought it was wonderful. As was the advent of dos.

Probably the most n00b thing I ever did was putting in the wrong date and time when the computer was booting up, you had to do it every time.

True story.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    The first computer I ever used had one floppy disc and no hard drive. The floppy disc was of the five and a quarter inch, actually floppy variety. You booted the computer from one disc, then put another in to run a programme, then saved data to a third. When they brought new ones out with 2 floppy drives we thought it was wonderful. As was the advent of dos.

Probably the most n00b thing I ever did was putting in the wrong date and time when the computer was booting up, you had to do it every time.

True story.
    I never did that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

True story.
    I never did that.
    Bearing in mind that this is a man who relies on his PC informing him that it is currently 1989.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Just a few week after I got my first computer...
    I reinstalled windows 98 on it (because it was a floor model and they told us we'd have to do this anyway [and we got a discount ]) and couldn't figure out why the product key was a few haracters too short and not being accepted (uh oh!) so my dad called the place we bought the computer at and it turns out we were trying to put in our "Microsoft Works 98" key instead of the windows 98 one.
    Hah, not a total mess though, you didn't ruin anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    During a show in the outback the pc completly crashed for the video projection work.
    In desperation..
    I called microsoft in the USA for help.......

I never did that.
    Bearing in mind that this is a man who relies on his PC informing him that it is currently 1989.

Damn mine makes me feel really dumb compared to those...

8. Lounge   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I installed a game Called Tank Commander in Win95 did n't like it so using search , I deleted every reference to " Command " in windows .

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I installed a game Called Tank Commander in Win95 did n't like it so using search , I deleted every reference to " Command " in windows .

10. Lounge   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

I never did that.
    1989?

Wrong...1984.

It was a PC Jr.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast