Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable on pc??

It might work fine it the USA but i need to know if this is likely to work with ntl in the UK as they only send the signal down the line for what you pay for normally.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    I don't think it matters location wise, although the company that sends it out would matter. I know from experence that with bresnen, if you hook the cable up to a tv you get basic cable, even if you are only paying for internet.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    just try it. what will it cost you? a few bucks for the splitter?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    well, if it screws up any of the line and then it will cost me a whole lot more, I know ntl can be fecks when it comes down to charging for engineer fees etc if they say its your fault they had to come out. and id rather not risk my connection over sumin im hardly gona use anyhow.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    just try it. what will it cost you? a few bucks for the splitter?
    As I said earlier. A splitter isn't even needed to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by feygan
    well, if it screws up any of the line and then it will cost me a whole lot more, I know ntl can be fecks when it comes down to charging for engineer fees etc if they say its your fault they had to come out. and id rather not risk my connection over sumin im hardly gona use anyhow.
    You don't sound like your ready to experiment with this sort of thing. Maybe you should just drop the whole idea then.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Im ok to experiment when I know abit more, hense the asking. I ready to use p2p software for dubious reasons also but I wasnt until I had a decent friewall etc, caution doesnt indicate non readyness.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    if you have the proper adaptor, it shouldn't screw up anything- just go to radio shack or whatever and tell them that you want an adaptor that has the proper end on each end, unhook your modem, thread on the adaptor and plug it into the tv card. all you should need to test is the adaptor. if you happen to have a tv or whatever that has a threaded connector that you could hook up just to see if it's going to work, then you shouldn't even need the adaptor. just plug in something that will receve a tv signal, see if you get cable, and if you do, go shopping for the stuff to hook it up for real.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    ok well, when u split a cable modem connection alot of the time it causes problems, they will lose connections randomly and sometimes wont reconnect until you unplug them for like 45 seconds or so and plug them back in...

and it could be possible they block all other frequencies except for the cable internet frequency (900mhz channel 9) Im not sure if its the same frequency there or not

one last thing, Im not sure if your trying to get digital cable even tho they dont have it? but TV tuner cards can only pick up analog, they can only tune to analog and with digital cable recievers they have a MAC number that has to be listed in the cable companies list in order for it to decode the signal, alot of people buy digital cable boxes online and find out they have to be programmed from the cable company in order to decode the signal

anyways I hope that helps a bit, if I remember I might check up on this post later

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemoteNoTV View Post
    ok well, when u split a cable modem connection alot of the time it causes problems, they will lose connections randomly and sometimes wont reconnect until you unplug them for like 45 seconds or so and plug them back in...
    No problems here, works fine.
    and it could be possible they block all other frequencies except for the cable internet frequency (900mhz channel 9) Im not sure if its the same frequency there or not
    sure they could do that, but unless they ran twice as many lines, then they couldn't do analog cable television, because it would also be blocked for those paying for cable. they could put filters on the lines that block the cable as it goes into the house for those not paying for it, but that's about it.
    one last thing, Im not sure if your trying to get digital cable even tho they dont have it? but TV tuner cards can only pick up analog, they can only tune to analog and with digital cable recievers they have a MAC number that has to be listed in the cable companies list in order for it to decode the signal, alot of people buy digital cable boxes online and find out they have to be programmed from the cable company in order to decode the signal
    Of course you aren't going to get digital cable. however, since the same lines that carry the internet signal also carries the cable, and you don't need to decode the basic cable, they can't really block it out. I have heard that sometimes if there is a filter on the line it sometimes kills the free cable, so I imagion that they sometimes install filters to block the cable signals. the guy installing my internet removed them all when my internet wasn't working right off because sometimes they can block internet signals and cause problems.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by feygan View Post
    I'm in the uk with an ntl 10mbps connection, the area I live in can only get analogue cable tv as the digital stuff hasn't been added to the exchange yet. What I'm wondering is if i put a coaxial splitter in the coaxial cable before it gets to my modem and run teh second line into my tv card will it be able to tune in and pick up anything from the cable channels? Also no I don't have a cable tv account.
    Unplug from the modem and plug into you TV tuner card (or TV).

It should work.

Everyone that has cable TV and internet through the cable company has it split from the main coax coming to the house.

I have it worse than that. I have one coax split into 2 analog, 1 digital, 1 digital HD, and 1 internet feed.

Trust me. It can be split.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12