Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: where do smells go?

Forum Chemist
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabGirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ibnuts View Post

Yes, it's basic high school science knowledge. Everyone I know took chemistry, physics, and biology in high school. If you really wanted to learn then you wouldn't have tried to pick apart the language/grammar behind my explanation.
    For your information sweetpea, I have a masters degree in oceanography and an honours degree in biology. The point I was making was that through use of exessive terminology science is not made accessible to the general public. Riddling an explaination with shite that only a small percentage of your readership can understand is negating a full and just understanding of the subject.
    Wow, I thought people with Masters could spell better. Should have gone for the PhD, huh?

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Must be the emotion.

3. Lounge   -   #53
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabGirl View Post

For your information sweetpea, I have a masters degree in oceanography and an honours degree in biology. The point I was making was that through use of exessive terminology science is not made accessible to the general public. Riddling an explaination with shite that only a small percentage of your readership can understand is negating a full and just understanding of the subject.
    Wow, I can't think of a decent response so I'll just pick on your spelling.
    Fixed.

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420 View Post

manker.
    fixed.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Forum Chemist

Fixed.
    Or, I don't need to thinkn of a decent response, because I'm getting my B.Sc in Biochemistry and am going to med school next year and the dumbest American in my classes can understand what the product of the "superior" UK educational system cannot. I would think that an oceanographer with an "honours degree in biology" would have at least been required to take one or two physics class, although maybe they put it in the same category as the U.K. dental plan... (i.e. non-existent)

Seriously though, the vocabulary I used was not very technical at all. I was only ever fully explained everything in equations. You're lucky that I didn't just give you conservation of energy, ideal gas law equations, or the like. I'm not being paid to educate people and I really don't give a rat's ass if science is accessible to people or not. I'd rather that it isn't so that people have to work hard to learn it and have a deeper understanding than if they're shovelled s*** so they don't have to think. For instance, my wife took a biology class with a bunch of idiots who didn't understand what ATP was (which I'm sure CrabGirl can explain in wonderful, elementary detail) so the professor began calling it "pizza." The problem is, it's hard to explain how you can activate/deactivate pizza by phophorylation/dephosphorylation. Thus, they would have learned more if they didn't understand the concept fully in the first place; and instead of learning to call it "pizza," had learned to call it adenosine triphosphate.

There, I'm done my freely given education for the day. I helped someone out with some math today for 30 mins and they gave me $20
    Last edited by elitistpig; 10-04-2006 at 01:29 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #56

Fixed.
    Or, I don't need to thinkn of a decent response, because I'm getting my B.Sc in Biochemistry and am going to med school next year and the dumbest American in my classes can understand what the product of the "superior" UK educational system cannot. I would think that an oceanographer with an "honours degree in biology" would have at least been required to take one or two physics classes, although maybe they put it in the same category as the U.K. dental plan... (i.e. non-existent)
    My word! Thank God you're not getting a B.Sc in English Language.
    I've also left one or two mistakes should you wish to re-read and check for yourself

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Forum Chemist
    Oh boy, the spelling police. You're wrong about the dash, by the way. My former Literature professor, who has a Masters and PhD, has corrected me before on using dashes in places of commas in instances like that. Maybe you Brits use dashes like you spell things incorrectly, such as "metre" instead of "meter," "colour," instead of "color," or "honour," instead of "honor." You can say English should be properly judged by Englishmen, but I say you're our bitch in everything else so you should listen to me in this as well. So I'm sorry if I make a few mistakes after 10hrs of classes, a full-time job, and research. I don't have time to sit by the computer all day, get my post count up, and spend hours editing like you. I'm too busy trying to do cancer research and contribute to the effort to find cures for cancer; and yes, that is plural, dumbass, and I'm not going to explain to you why. Do your homework.

Thank God Britain is our bitch and I'll be making 10x as much as you in a few years *yawn*. I used to wonder why the British follow us around whenever we decide to do something, like invade Iraq. It's not because you care as much as we do about the price of "petrol" (gas for those of us who speak English properly, or C8H18 to us chemists). It's because you guys are trying to live back in your glory days when you were actually an important country, rather than the has-beens you have become.

Oh, and two can play at the spelling game. I'm sure there are many more examples in your nearly 16,000 posts, but your sig shows it well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo View Post
    "wouldn't be a strop you'd be facing if you knocked me out and bum-raped me, it'd be a hella tantrum
    Right back at you, buddy.

I didn't check all your other posts to see if you've made so many mistakes there as well, since I have a life, unlike you.

EDIT: I was just thinking, maybe Crab answered this already, but how does one get a biology degree in England without knowing what an enzyme is? I'm sure she has said or did say she knew what it was but you'd think that someone with an "honours" (honors) degree in biology would be able to ask me a more difficult question to try and stump me. Oh well, I guess the much-lauded British educational system isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.
    Last edited by elitistpig; 10-04-2006 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Question

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Oh boy, the spelling police. You're wrong about the dash, by the way. My former Literature professor, who has a Masters and PhD, has corrected me before on using dashes in places of commas in instances like that. Maybe you Brits use dashes like you spell things incorrectly, such as "metre" instead of "meter," "colour," instead of "color," or "honour," instead of "honor." You can say English should be properly judged by Englishmen, but I say you're our bitch in everything else so you should listen to me in this as well. So I'm sorry if I make a few mistakes after 10hrs of classes, a full-time job, and research. I don't have time to sit by the computer all day, get my post count up, and spend hours editing like you. I'm too busy trying to do cancer research and contribute to the effort to find cures for cancer; and yes, that is plural, dumbass, and I'm not going to explain to you why. Do your homework.

Thank God Britain is our bitch and I'll be making 10x as much as you in a few years *yawn*. I used to wonder why the British follow us around whenever we decide to do something, like invade Iraq. It's not because you care as much as we do about the price of "petrol" (gas for those of us who speak English properly, or C8H18 to us chemists). It's because you guys are trying to live back in your glory days when you were actually an important country, rather than the has-beens you have become.

Oh, and two can play at the spelling game. I'm sure there are many more examples in your nearly 16,000 posts, but your sig shows it well enough.

Right back at you, buddy.

I didn't check all your other posts to see if you've made so many mistakes there as well, since I have a life, unlike you.

EDIT: I was just thinking, maybe Crab answered this already, but how does one get a biology degree in England without knowing what an enzyme is? I'm sure she has said or did say she knew what it was but you'd think that someone with an "honours" (honors) degree in biology would be able to ask me a more difficult question to try and stump me. Oh well, I guess the much-lauded British educational system isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.
    Are you also trying to gain a B.Sc in talking pish?

9. Lounge   -   #59
    manker's Avatar effendi
    lol, you've got nearly 16000 posts. Get some sun and get laid, wanker.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    There, I'm done my freely given education for the day. I helped someone out with some math today for 30 mins and they gave me $20
    75 cents per minute, eh!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast