Thread: What Cinema Surround System Would You Recommend?

Poster
    Hi, just posting here, seeking expertise advice.

I now have second thoughts about the JVC TH-A75R, as the wattage is to low and it has an over-complicated OSD. It also is distorted at high wattage .

The Panasonic SC-HT95 is okay, but has a lack of Dolby Pro Logic II support, which I was seeking to enjoy sound for my Nintendo GameCube. Also, it has a noisy loading mechanism. But it has a 5 Disc DVD-V changer .

What about the SONY DAVS400? But the problem is that it is limited to 300W .

Anything else you would recommend? I'm looking for something for around £400 that maybe supports Dolby Digital 6.1 EX (not a necessity), a very good speaker power, very good picture quality, all of the popular sound formats like Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS etc., the majority of the digital formats like DVD-A etc., support for RDS is not required ...

Thanks alot !

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I would never recommend those all-in-one systems to my customers, friends, or family.

They are just more prone to failure.
    Your are much better off buying a seperate receiver and DVD player.

Wattage has nothing to do with how loud it will sound.

In systems like those you've listed, at least the speakers will be matched to the receiver. Very important to audio volume and quality.

Dolby Digital is the only way to go. More content available out there. (Dolby Pro Logic II just isn't being embraced by the mfg.)

Progressive scan is something to look for in the DVD player. Although, if your TV doesn't support it, than you'll be wasting your money.

Listen to the systems you are interested in. Don't go by the specs alone(or my opinion).

Afterall, your ears are what counts in the end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    try somewhere like richer sounds they have a nice selection of decently priced gear.

They also let you hear it before you buy.

I would have a look at what hi fi sound and vision best buys they are noramlly pretty good equipment.
    whathifi

remember to shop around and to listen to the stuff with music you like. bring along your own dvd's and cd's. book the test room in advance if you can.

good luck

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I've found a great system, the Pioneer DCS303MR.

Also, for the Sony DAVS880, I need someone to confirm whether the speakers, excluding the sub total 500W.