Thread: Drm Components

What is this request that I get when opening some mp3 files - 'upgrade your DRM components'? Is it only MS Media Player 9 that does this? If, so - what is a good media player to use instead of MS? TIA

2. Music   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    DRM stand for "digital rights management"
    In other words "copyright control"
    Windows media player is known for this and(unless you have a firewall) connects to the internet as well when you are online. Why? I don't know.

I don't recommend it and most of the forum regulars won't either.

I use Musicmatch for playing, recording and ripping all my audio.

I use Zoomplayer and Divx player for all my video needs.

The BSplayer is also recommend for video.

Hope that helps

3. Music   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by harrycary@8 May 2003 - 19:31
    Windows media player is known for this and(unless you have a firewall) connects to the internet as well when you are online. Why? I don't know.
    WMP only gets the CDDA data for music, like the title, and the artist info. It doesn't do anything else.
    Proud member of MDS

4. Music   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I know that much Jibbler. It also automatically downloads codecs for video files.

When I wrote that I didn't know, I meant I wasn't sure what information was being sent to Micro$oft.

I thought I had read something about Micro$ofts use of the EULA that everyone agrees with when updating Windows media player.

They are collecting data on users. I found this and more importantly this to be interesting reads.

Fargin' Micro$oft!

5. Music   -   #5
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I checked out both of the articles you posted, and while it makes for an interesting read, the program is harmless. In my post, I was referring to WMP9 for XP, which is the current version. I assume everyone is using current software, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. Older versions of WMP, like version 8, which is pictured there, has different options.

The EULA (user end licencing agreement) is always tricky, and I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to fuck us like that. They used a similar tactic with the Xbox to stop "chipped or modded" Xbox's from reaching the online service.
    Proud member of MDS