Thread: System Slowdown.

Poster
    I wonder if anyone can help. Recently i'm finding that my system will stop responding for maybe 20-30 seconds. While the mouse pointer will move, i can't open the start menu or anything else. This problem ends when my task bar disappears, then reappears, as if windows is booting up again.

I'm on XP with all updates. I read somewhere that one of the recent patches caused systems to slowdown; forgotten where now though. Also, i recently used Tweak XP pro, which I found mostly to be a lot of crap, and subsequently uninstalled. Has this maybe 'tweaked' something, which has caused this problem?

I'm on a high-end machine; athlonxp 2400, 786mb ram, so it isn't the problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    sounds like windows is crashing. This is where xp is great because with older versions you would of had to give it the old three fingered salute.

But with xp it just restarts explorer and your away again. What apps are you using when this happens.
    I would also chack your hardware out. make sure it in connected nice and snugg.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    [ Also, i recently used Tweak XP pro, which I found mostly to be a lot of crap, and subsequently uninstalled. Has this maybe 'tweaked' something] Yes ,even you unistalled Tweak XP pro the the crap its still alive ,i have your problem too some weeks ago and i formatted the disk .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I wonder if anyone can help. Recently i'm finding that my system will stop responding for maybe 20-30 seconds. While the mouse pointer will move, i can't open the start menu or anything else. This problem ends when my task bar disappears, then reappears, as if windows is booting up again.

I'm on XP with all updates. I read somewhere that one of the recent patches caused systems to slowdown; forgotten where now though. Also, i recently used Tweak XP pro, which I found mostly to be a lot of crap, and subsequently uninstalled. Has this maybe 'tweaked' something, which has caused this problem?

I'm on a high-end machine; athlonxp 2400, 786mb ram, so it isn't the problem.

Thanks in advance.
    If you installed Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493, then uninstall it! It slowed down my computer too, and a lot of other people's computers.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks all for advice.

It does seem as if explorer is crashing. I've checked my hardware and it seems to be ok. I don't know what apps in particular, there seems to be no running theme. Although......... Hmm, now i come to think of it. Using tweakxp, or rather following it's instructions, i installed the ram disc feature of xp. Could this be it?

I would rather not have to reinstall or reformat. Thing is you see, until service pack 2 comes out, it takes my poor old dial up modem several hours to download all the updates. Is there any other way i could remove any remnants of tweakxp?

Having checked, it appears that i do not have this dodgy patch. Think i must have been on holiday when this was floating about.

Thanks all again.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I've also been experiencing random explorer crashes. Tracked it down to a dodgy VobSub codec.

Also I've heard of (and witnessed) the same error ocurring with some old Creative Soundblaster Live! and Audigy drivers.
    Can't remember a movie's name? Ask help at MovieWorld's Lost & Found

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    take out the kernal.dll sercurity patch for xp its a pile of shit:

811493: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Download size: 5.8 MB

it dosent do much anyway,
    if you have a firewall to protect u, then everything is sweet.?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    this happens to me dont no y

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Also I've heard of (and witnessed) the same error ocurring with some old Creative Soundblaster Live! and Audigy drivers.
    Really! I wonder if that's it. I don't think much of creative and their drivers, have had problems with them before.