Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's the difference between Intel Core Duo and CONROE? which is faster?

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    just out of interest.. i have seen on some online stores these 2 processors and was wondering which is better/faster, and which of them would suit a gamer better..

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Conroe is the codename for some of the Core 2 series of desktop processors. If designated as Conroe they should have 4MB L2 cache. They were officially released on July 27 and fit the standard LGA775 socket.

If they are correctly labelled the Intel Core (not Core 2) processors refer to the mobile product, codenamed Yonah. The Duo versions were released on various dates this year: January 5, May ??, June 28. They only fit the mobile Socket M.

On the other hand, if they mean the Core 2 Duo, then they could be referring to the Allendale chip which only has 2x1MB L2 cache and will therefore be slower than the Conroe.

You can tell which is which by the model number:
    Allendales are models E4300, E6300 and E6400.
    Conroes are models E6600 and E6700
    Conroe "XE" model is X6800
    There are also the quad core Kentsfield (Q6600) and Kentsfield "XE" (QX6700) processors.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    so which would be ideal for gaming etc..?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    manofstyle's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Core 2 Duo (Conroe) would be the faster processor. Core Duo is older and slower.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    conroe refers to core 2 duo chips that have the ability to run 64 bit programs unlike core duo. As far as i know, core duos cost way more than core 2 duos and are meant for laptops and dont support 64 bit. core 2 duo is the standard for desktops. BTW the processors with only 2MB cache (e6300, e6400) are still considered conroe. Intel are planning on releasing the Allendale (e4300? ) sooner, which i believe willl perform slower than conroes. So in conclusion the conroe (or core 2 duo) is the ideal processor to get. An e6600 ($320), or an e6300/e6400 ($180-220) overclocked to 3ghz, out performs amd's best processor, fx 62($700)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Clear as Mud

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    fyi: dual core chips are no better then single core chips unless the app and/or game is designed to utilize them. if which, not many do at the moment.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    So... what if you're playing a pc game, but you want to burn a cd at the same time , and browse the internet? that't where dual core comes in, it prevents the pc from lagging/slowing down when doing too many stuff too.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    well, if i wanted to by a core 2 duo, would i need to just buy a whole new PC? as in.. new tower, new HD, new graphics card and everything? or is it worth just buying the processor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast