Page 403 of 462 FirstFirst ... 303353393400401402403404405406413453 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 4614

Thread: What is the latest movie you watched and what did you think of it?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Troll Hunter (2010, Norway)

An entry into the "found footage" genre (think The Blair Witch Project), Troll Hunter matter-of-factly- indeed, almost offhandedly- assumes the existence of trolls
    and a secret Norwegian agency that monitors/controls them. A university film crew attaches itself to Hans, the only troll hunter in Norway, and follows as he tries to find out why there has been an outbreak
    of troll activity.

The film is very low key and Hans is extremely anti-heroic...he's just a guy with a job to do ( a very "regular" job in that he hates his boss and gets a "shitty salary").
    There is an amazing amount of troll behavior explained ( Hans likes/respects the trolls and only wants to contain them, not eradicate the species) and the special effects are pretty good (aided by the "fact" that trolls are only active at night).

This movie is a gem, unexpectedly entertaining despite the languid pace and low key acting.
    Yes there are plot holes, but it hangs together while you're watching and that's really all that matters.
    Troll Hunter takes an outre concept and kind of soothes you into buying it...no explosions, no blood (except the blood of Christians), no boobs and no bombastic musical cues.
    Slyly humorous too, so bonus points for that.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Movies & TV   -   #4022
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    They made a film about chavis? Wow, they really have run out for ideas. Only heard mildly good things about Troll Hunter, might check it out.

----

Hangover 2 / 2011

Spoiler: Show

Well where do I begin? I saw this in the cinema and only just realised why I watch films at strange sessions times. I must of sat next to the Wicked Witch of the West because the stupid bitch couldn't stop cackling.

A few friends went and saw it, didn't really expect much from it - just wanted to see Zach. Zach only just pulled this film across the line. I love his characters, a pubescent adolescent. All he does is have to have an odd facial expression and it makes me chuckle. The writers knew how to take advantage of him perfectly.

I don't know how to explain it but the writers also managed to not turn this sequel into a cliché sequel.

Only watch if you want some nice one liners, from the one person.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Movies & TV   -   #4023
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Once was the time when I went to a movie hoping that Zach Galifianakis might be in it.Now I go praying that he isn't.
    Or maybe I'm confusing him with Seth Rogen or maybe Jack Black.

The Foo Fighters:Back and Forth (2011)

A documentary on the history of the band.

I don't know I was really expecting more from this movie considering the music and the band's rocky history but the whole thing came off as pretty dry and uninteresting to me.
    Way too static and dispassionate and felt everything was so "remote" like I was watching the thing through the wrong end of a telescope.
    Definitely needed some concert footage to run longer and be more "in your face" and for the band members to show some more emotion in their interviews instead of siting staring blankly at the camera and monotonically telling you how horrible things were or how betrayed they felt.

I think the people that rated it 8.5 on IMDB must be huge fans or something.

Thought about watching Troll Hunter before .Maybe I'll give it a shot.
    Btw Zach Galifianakis isn't in it is he?

I also watched Drive Angry but less said about that the better. Strangely though with a little fine tuning with a wreaking ball the movie might actually have worked.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-11-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4024
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I also watched Drive Angry but less said about that the better. Strangely though with a little fine tuning with a wreaking ball the movie might actually have worked.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. Was Nick Cage trolling us?

Only character I enjoyed was the FBI agent, which if I'm not mistaken was the bank manager on The Dark Knight - who shoots at the Joker and gets a grenade thing shoved in his mouth. Nice to see him progressing in his career .

Ahh yes I was correct: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0032981/
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 06-11-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. Movies & TV   -   #4025
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously.
    You think? Obviously the title Drive Angry got me confused.
    Btw I didn't say the movie was entirely bad, it just got increasing dumb and not in a good way.Also the ending was really,really,really stupid.
    Really.

Two thumbs and a finger eleven up for Amber Heard though.

Also whenever I see William Fichtner I just go "That's whatshisname from Prison Break" or maybe "Don't I remember him from Black Hawk Down Equilibrium?"

Let Me In(2010)

The American remake of the stunningly original 2008 Norwegian film Let the Right One In.
    Probably would have gone down better if I hadn't seen the original first. As it is the American imo pales in comparison choosing to go for more straightforward horror than lyrical melancholy.Part of this comes from Chloe Moretz's vampire next door being more manipulative predator than someone trapped in a situation not of their own making.
    Also the other lead ,Kodi Smit-McPhee has future serial killer and not lost soul written all over him from the get go so again hard to sympathize .
    Then there is the matter of the expanded character of the vampire's servant which though I suppose is suppose to elicit sympathy doesn't . The film also seemed poorly paced but that might have more to do with me knowing what was going to happen than being actual fact.

Anyway in term of pointless arbitrary numbers I give it a 6.5/10 or less.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-11-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Movies & TV   -   #4026
    I watched 'Paul'. was really funny! im a huge fan of Simon Pegg & Nick Frost and it was only improved by adding Seth Rogen in the mix!
    definitely recommend this movie!

7. Movies & TV   -   #4027
    @Idol, what were your thoughts on Amber Heard's switching of accents? She switched from rock bottom girl from Texas to Nick Cage's bitch. Was this an hidden Easter egg representing rising in ranks or just the director not giving a fuck by the end of shoots? (I guess after a while listening to Nicolas Cage's annoying monotone accent will start to get to you ).

Next in view queue; Hard Candy / 2005. To be honest Trust / 2010 appears to be similar and slightly more interesting. What the fuck it's directed by that Dr on Friends; David Schwimmer. Looks like it's his first feature too, well done.

Hard Candy / 2005
    A mature 14-year old girl meets a charming 32-year old photographer on the Internet. Suspecting that he is a pedophile, she goes to his home in an attempt to expose him.

Trust / 2010
    A teenage girl is targeted by an online sexual predator.

8. Movies & TV   -   #4028
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    @Idol, what were your thoughts on Amber Heard's switching of accents? She switched from rock bottom girl from Texas to Nick Cage's bitch. Was this an hidden Easter egg representing rising in ranks or just the director not giving a fuck by the end of shoots? (I guess after a while listening to Nicolas Cage's annoying monotone accent will start to get to you ).
    Lots of times a director will use some barely perceptible change in a character to alter how the audience views/relates to them. It's obvious that the director changed her wardrobe to "toughen" her up so I suppose it's within the realm of possibility the vocal change was intended too.
    If it started at a specific point and then never faltered from there on then seeing as movies are almost always shot out of sequence it almost certainly has to be intentional.

9. Movies & TV   -   #4029
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    [QUOTE=iLOVENZB;3585965]
    Only character I enjoyed was the FBI agent, which if I'm not mistaken was the bank manager on The Dark Knight - who shoots at the Joker and gets a grenade thing shoved in his mouth. Nice to see him progressing in his career .

Ahh yes I was correct: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0032981/
    he also got his knee caps blown off in heat, he seems to have had a lot of roles in the late 90`s early 00`s west wing, armageddon, Equilibrium then just dissapeared for a few years.

10. Movies & TV   -   #4030
    Then in honour of William Fitchner I think it's finally time for this

I just watched Super 8 and granted it was a cam but I didn't especially like it. Besides the fact Abrams steals basically everything from other (better) movies I don't understand how I'm suppose to feel all warm and fuzzy at the end over a hideous gigantic man-eating alien?
    Also again maybe it being a cam did this but I never felt the bond between the young characters so necessary to a film like this.
    Yeah I'm sure all you younger people buy into it and will think it's the best thing since sliced bread but then you're all idiots aren't you.