Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush to be assassinated on Channel 4

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Should go over big, I imagine...

Don't quite know what to think about it, but I'm not shocked.

I do wonder what could be the point of depicting the "mock" assassination of a real political figure if not to be, for lack of a better term...suggestive?

I don't know that this has ever been done before.

I'm curious; what do you guys think?

Bush 'assassinated' in British TV mockumentary
    AFP Thursday August 31, 06:09 PM

LONDON (AFP) - A British television channel is to screen a mock documentary showing the imagined assassination of US President George W. Bush, it announced in a move which looks set to court controversy.

Channel Four's "The Death of a President" mixes archive footage and computer-generated imagery to give a chillingly realistic representation of an actual killing.

In the film, the president makes a speech to business leaders in Chicago and faces a massive anti-war demonstration.

He is shot by a sniper as he leaves the venue and the investigation into his killing focuses on Syrian-born man.

The film will debut at the Toronto Film Festival, which starts on September 7, and will be aired on Channel Four's digital channel More4 on October 9.

Producers are hopeful of selling rights to broadcast "The Death of a President" in the United States following its debut.

Peter Dale, head of More4, said the drama was a "thought-provoking critique" of contemporary US society.

He said: "It's an extraordinarily gripping and powerful piece of work, a drama constructed like a documentary that looks back at the assassination of George Bush as the starting point for a very gripping detective story.

"It's a pointed political examination of what the war on terror did to the American body politic.

"I'm sure that there will be people who will be upset by it but when you watch it you realise what a sophisticated piece of work it is.

"It's not sensationalist, or simplistic but a very thought-provoking, powerful drama. I hope people will see that the intention behind it is good."
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    That's just silly.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I'm not so sure that use of a syrian as the assasin is "thought provoking". Perhaps if they made it a white non muslim American then it could be a little more of a talking subject. look back at how many leaders have been assassinated by one of their own.
    As it stands it appears to be just an anti Bush subject and that will overshadow any point to the production.
    Last edited by vidcc; 09-01-2006 at 09:57 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Cool Will watch.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    Cool Will watch.
    Do you get Channel 4 in Canadia.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    Cool Will watch.
    Do you get Channel 4 in Canadia.
    Perhaps someone objective on your side of the pool might watch for those of us who cannot watch?

I'm mighty interested in why it was thought necessary to graft Dubya's face onto an actor, rather than tell a fictional story as fiction in all aspects...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    It is one of those "watch the world unravel and scare yourself silly" things. I think the idea is to make it as plausible as possible and suggest to people that such events could be just one bullet away.

I rather think the US public might be rather more robust - albeit in the Dr Evil sense when confronting the possible loss of Mini-me.

"I would be inconsolable.....well obviously for 15 minutes or so, then I would move on" or something of that ilk.

I don't believe it is supposed to be a "this would be a good idea" but rather "look how bad things could get". To that end Bush and his confrontation with radical Islam is more relevant than a fictional President and to be effective in worrying people, now rather after he leaves office is a better playing time. Questionable taste though.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    It is one of those "watch the world unravel and scare yourself silly" things. I think the idea is to make it as plausible as possible and suggest to people that such events could be just one bullet away.

I rather think the US public might be rather more robust - albeit in the Dr Evil sense when confronting the possible loss of Mini-me.

"I would be inconsolable.....well obviously for 15 minutes or so, then I would move on" or something of that ilk.

I don't believe it is supposed to be a "this would be a good idea" but rather "look how bad things could get". To that end Bush and his confrontation with radical Islam is more relevant than a fictional President and to be effective in worrying people, now rather after he leaves office is a better playing time. Questionable taste though.
    What he said.

Other than the "mini-me" part, which was just silly.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

What he said.

Other than the "mini-me" part, which was just silly.

I thought it apposite to the 15 minute culture.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    I think anyone with half a brain, US citizen or some other culture, would think twice about assasinating a fool like Bush just to have a tyrant like Dick Cheney take over. Thats like "Out of the frying pan and into the fire". Replacing a moron with a wicked and cruel master manipulator would be unforgivable.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast