Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Hallows Eve

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    October 31

it had to happen at some point
    Last edited by 100%; 10-12-2006 at 10:49 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

3. Lounge   -   #3
    i'll be in spain, anyone know if spics celebrate it?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    no they dont they have a day, called the day of the dead, which is not on our oct 31

5. Lounge   -   #5
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Quote Originally Posted by Global Jihad View Post
    no they dont they have a day, called the day of the dead, which is not on our oct 31
    That is a Mexican celebration.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Basquiat's Avatar DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Halloween from Around the World
    Halloween in Spain

In Spain the black cat is considered to be bad luck, especially if you let it cross your path, come into your home or even onto your ship. In Spain also a special pastry known as the Bones of the Holy is eaten on this day.

In Spain November 1 has become a public holiday. On All Saints' Day Catholics attend church services in honor of the saints, the martyrs and those who have died for the Catholic faith. People may also visit their family’s graves to beautify them with wreaths and small lanterns. Sometimes a mass is said at the gravesite and the grave sprinkled with holy water.

On November 2 or All Souls' Day, Catholics attend a special Requiem masses, where they remember those who may be close to them that have died. Prayers for the dead are said and votive candles are lit to honor their memory.

March 13-19 in Spain is Las Fallas which is in honor of St. Joseph whose feast day is on March 19. There are fireworks, bullfights, music, costumed revelers and parades. Giant models of people or papier-mâché effigies called ninots are stuffed with fireworks and burned.

The bonfires and burning of effigies is done to "blazing away" the last vestiges of winter and welcoming the glow of the summer Sun.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Global Jihad View Post
    Dios de los Muertos is different from Halloween. It's celebrated on the 1st of November.

I know this what Mexicans "celebrate", but I'm not sure about Spain.

yo

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Samhain otherwise known as Hallow'een was in ancient times a three day celebration over what is now the 31st Oct, 1 and 2 November. Elements of Samhain are in all these celebrations so they are all in effect correct.

It was, in the Celtic calendar, New Year and a time when the veil between the spirit world and this became thin. It was, as often New Year is now, a time for reflection on those who have gone before. It was a time when mischievous spirits played tricks. It was also a time to feast with ones ancestors and to reflect upon the future and, in practical terms, a time to sort out the livestock and grain stores for the winter to come.

As elements of Samhain were incorporated into the Catholic Church's calendar it is celebrated in one of its forms or other all around the world. The Celtic nations and by dint the US, Canadia and Antipodes retain the mischief of Hallow'een rather than the Masses of the 1st and the 2nd.

Now who else can I bore the pants off?
    Last edited by Biggles; 10-13-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Friday 13th > Hallowe'en

10. Lounge   -   #10
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    'Dia de los Muertos' is officially on 2nd Nov it is the one day of the year when the spirits of the dead are able to walk amongst the living. Because the spirits are (supposedly) able to do this from midnight on 1st Nov so celebrations begin on the 1st. A feast is usually prepared to share with the spirits of relatives who have passed over, the centerpiece of the feat is the 'day of the dead cake' which is a really sweet, pretty sickly cake with jelly sweets in it.

Its not as widely celebrated in Spain (where is originated) as it is in Latin America and the U.S.

A word of advise. It's not nice to refer to the Spanish as Spics
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast