Thread: Hello there, Few questions, Searched.

Hi there everyone, I'm a newbie here. I'm about to sign up for Usenet through one of your affiliates once I understand what I'm signing up for.

What I don't understand is the term "Retention". Does this mean after I dl what I want to dl, I won't be able to view/play/open the downloaded file after the retention period is over?

I also assume that 8 connections will be enough for me, and that unlimited bandwith is a better option.

I have verizon fios, the 15mbps version. What speeds can I expect through usenet with ~8 connections?

Thanks so much for helping out a newbie.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by MdL View Post
    Hi there everyone, I'm a newbie here. I'm about to sign up for Usenet through one of your affiliates once I understand what I'm signing up for.

What I don't understand is the term "Retention". Does this mean after I dl what I want to dl, I won't be able to view/play/open the downloaded file after the retention period is over?
    The way usenet works is there are files uploaded to servers located on internet backbones, these files take up huge amounts of space so eventually they are removed. Retention refers to how long your specific server holds these files for you to download them. If you have 50 days retention, you can download that specific file up to 50 day after it's initial posting. 50 days is enough for most people, if you have been out of the scene for longer than 50 days, than chances are there is another post coming soon or already posted for the same thing.

I also assume that 8 connections will be enough for me, and that unlimited bandwith is a better option.

I have verizon fios, the 15mbps version. What speeds can I expect through usenet with ~8 connections?
    I have an 8Mbit connection and receive right at 1 MB/s, roughly 1020kbps. So with a 15Mbit connection you can consider double that. My connection is fast, your's is insanely fast. However with that amount of speed you need to keep in mind, heavy traffic users tend to stick out alot more than your average user. Be careful how much you download, as you could catch the attention of not only your ISP but the usenet provider as well. The term unlimited refers to the amount you download but obviously downloading 800GB-1TB a month will catch someones attention.

Thanks so much for helping out a newbie.
    No problem, glad to help.