Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usa Today News Article

Some one had a link to this article HERE (I believe it was OlderThanDirt), interesting reading, but in it read...

Yet the efforts have failed to get people to pay for music recorded off the Internet. One reason is that legitimate music sites remain unappealing. Most are cumbersome and offer fewer services to paying customers than illegal sites provide for free.
    ILLEGAL...
    This truly shows you the the mind set of the public at large and the brainwashing to those at large, even those who are on our side of the fence, OTD you should have caught this, as it clearly states my point, or maybe just a typo, I think not.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    i KNOW i KNOW TRUE TRUE TRUE !

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Well the fact that they call it a "site" shows it's written by someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about. Plenty of that in journalism.

Either that or they're talking about warez sites, in which case they are right in calling them illegal.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by REALITY@8 May 2003 - 06:11
    This truly shows you the the mind set of the public at large and the brainwashing to those at large, even those who are on our side of the fence, OTD you should have caught this, as it clearly states my point, or maybe just a typo, I think not.
    I think most of Joe Public cares very little about our cause. Once they start associating layoffs at the CD factories with filesharing, then and only then will mainstream America take notice.
    Proud member of MDS

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Some one had a link to this article HERE (I believe it was OlderThanDirt), interesting reading, but in it read...

Yet the efforts have failed to get people to pay for music recorded off the Internet. One reason is that legitimate music sites remain unappealing. Most are cumbersome and offer fewer services to paying customers than illegal sites provide for free.
    ILLEGAL...
    I caught it, but not just the word ILLEGAL. The article said ILLEGAL SITES. But, while the RIAA has gotten the public to parrot "illegal, illegal, illegal" everytime the topic of P2P comes up, the first visible chink in that armor of argument was what my VERY first post as a forum member was all about ... where U.S. District Court Judge, Stephen Wilson, parroted the U.S. Supreme Court, "substantial non-infringing uses, substantial non-infringing uses, substantial non-infringing uses."

It takes time to alter public perceptions. But, as long as judges are willing to stand up to the dragon and others are willing to do the same, the dragon will eventually be slain.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    And down she will go, yet to be seen no more, but only as an artifact.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by Jibbler@9 May 2003 - 00:35
    I think most of Joe Public cares very little about our cause. Once they start associating layoffs at the CD factories with filesharing, then and only then will mainstream America take notice.
    I don't think that'll ever happen. There's layoffs going through all sectors of business right now. It's a pretty flimsy reason on the companies' part if they're going to associate filesharing with CD factory layoffs. The layoffs in the travel sector are still being blamed on terrorism, which is still a somewhat flimsy reason to back the massive cuts that are going on. I'm not sure how they'll spin the layoffs at the dog food plant or the forestry sectors. Dogs aren't terrorists, and trees don't fileshare.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    BANNED
    It will never happen i just cant see it happening ilegal what does that word mean these days?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Something that is against the law.

And to REALITY, actually I think that you're in denial.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I think something REALITY said earlier put it best. What we're witnessing right now is the "status quo" industry power in its death throes ... flailing about wildly, refusing to accept defeat ... in short, going out in a blaze of unrealized glory. If the public has no pity on P2P users, it has even less pity on creeps like Madonna who damn the file sharers ... on her way to her Mercedes. Know what I mean? The largesse of the industry, or more accurately, the largesse of their control over the marketplace, is becoming more clear with each misstep they take (the arrests/trials of those college students being the most recent misstep). They've thrown a gauntlet down at the kind of people who have no problem with picking it up and tossing it back in their faces ... those people being sharers and software developers. And in throwing down that gauntlet, they are raising many eyebrows in the media, the electronic industry, civil rights groups and legislators ... and those people are beginning to talk and talk loudly. Rather than work in the industry's favor, an economic downturn will work to their detriment as more and more people who normally would pay for music are tempted to acquire it for free ... enlarging the army of sharers the industry has to fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast