Thread: Seperating the music from the singing

Yo folks, there is this song with a great backing track but crap singing, and I was wondering if anybody knew of a way for me at home, with some sort of software, to seperate the two. If so, what software can I used to do this?

2. Music   -   #2
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I wish there were... Unfortunately I don't think it's possible because normally when you get a song, you get the finalized version with all the tracks mixed together into 1 audio track. I believe it's called a "Mix Down." This means that all the individual sounds and loops have been integrated.

I wish there was a way to do this though... I'd listen to alot more Cradle of Filth.

3. Music   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Ya, Damnatory is right, its kind of like Photoshop, instead of a .psd file with the different layers (or in this case tracks) you get a .jpg file where all the layers have been flattened.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. Music   -   #4
    Ah, ok, thanks folks anyway.

5. Music   -   #5
    GoldWave can remove vocals from songs sometimes but it almost always sounds bad

6. Music   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    it probably works by filtering out the midrange in a song where the vocals normally reside. the problem is all the instruments that produce sound waves at that frequency get taken out as well.