Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can your ISP see what trackers you connect to using torrents?

Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_T View Post
    Isp's do not know what websites we go on and they cannot see what we are doing, all they can see is the amount you are downloading.
    Completely wrong.
    Please learn how the Internet infrastructure works first.

It is the ISP who provides you Internet access.
    When you access to a website or download a website, your request is processed through your ISP. They will have logs about this.

In closed society like China and North Korea, the ISPs will co-operate with the government to monitor citizens' activities on the Internet. They control what information they can receive. If you are caught doing any anti-government activities on the Internet, the government will arrest you.
    Bullshit. It is illegal for any internet service provider to monitor anything other than the amount that you are downloading... and even that has only recently became tolerable as things like download quotas and fair use policies have came into place in the last five years.
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    I acctually worked for Cox a few years back. You wouldnt beleive the information we used to be able to monitor when needed.

I could freaken tell you what images off a site you even loaded.
    Pretty much anything you can see from your browser they can pickup if they wanted.
    We of coarse wouldnt monitor this stuff unless we felt you were breaking the current laws in any way.
    Even with encryption on in your programs ex: ssl. We could still tell which ips you were connecting to and how much you were downloading from that particular ip as well as at what speed. We could see more detailed information as well but wont get into that as to not scare the bageebers out of anyone.

Again this would only be watched if monitoring was needed. I worked in the division that did this as our primary job and we would be lucky to get any calls to monitor people. Im not trying to scare anyone.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_T View Post
    Bullshit. It is illegal for any internet service provider to monitor anything other than the amount that you are downloading... and even that has only recently became tolerable as things like download quotas and fair use policies have came into place in the last five years.
    What you say is just that they won't bother to do it, not they can't do it.

Unless the law in your country is very different, I haven't heard such things thatit is illegal to log your Internet activities. Note that logging your activities is not equal to using this log for illegal or malicious purposes. Please quote which country and which law if you think otherwise.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    I acctually worked for Cox a few years back. You wouldnt beleive the information we used to be able to monitor when needed.

I could freaken tell you what images off a site you even loaded.
    Pretty much anything you can see from your browser they can pickup if they wanted.
    It is not surprising at all if you understand how Internet infrastructure works. Simply speaking, ISP works like a middeman between you and the Internet. Every communication to/from you has to go through the middleman first. For example, if you login on a website which doesn't require secure connection, the ISP can know your password. I'm not frightening you. Personally I don't think they will do, but that's the truth.

Even with encryption on in your programs ex: ssl. We could still tell which ips you were connecting to and how much you were downloading from that particular ip as well as at what speed.
    Yes, very true.
    But you don't know the content of the traffic, which is most important.

We could see more detailed information as well but wont get into that as to not scare the bageebers out of anyone.
    Simply tell them the truth. People should not just close their ears and live in the dream. Lying to themselves no one can know what you are doing is making them more stupid and ignorant.
    They need to know the facts. If things go worse, they will know how to protect themselves.

Again this would only be watched if monitoring was needed. I worked in the division that did this as our primary job and we would be lucky to get any calls to monitor people. Im not trying to scare anyone.
    Although ISP is potentially a large threat to us, I don't think they are interested to watch every user activity unless they have a reason to do.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Although ISP is potentially a large threat to us, I don't think they are interested to watch every user activity unless they have a reason to do.
    Exactly the case.

BY other things I didnt mention above. We could litteraly see what folder you were transferring files into and take visual snapshots of the contents of these folders. (Much like what you get from MPAA and RIAA on occasion.)

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    nizrulesall's Avatar SuFis Up!
    [quote=Melvinmeow;1514853]
    We could litteraly see what folder you were transferring files into and take visual snapshots of the contents of these folders. (Much like what you get from MPAA and RIAA on occasion.)
    I find that very hard to swallow........

7. BitTorrent   -   #27

Unsure

[quote=nizrulesall;1515045]
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post

I find that very hard to swallow........
    Have you read or understood how the Internet infrastructure works?
    Do you know the role of the ISP when you connect to the Internet?

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    as far as i know, your isp monitors all you internet activities and keeps logs for some time!

so i think that it can know what trackers you are connected to!

however, i dont think that any ISP would bother about it, because that is way of grabing money, and that 's the reason why ISP's sells more or less internet connection speed

(sorry my english)

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    PooBar's Avatar TorrentSlut BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    my isp allows bit totrrent trafic ...and uploads are unmetered ,so i can upload as much as i want ..i got 1bit up :-D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123