Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can your ISP see what trackers you connect to using torrents?

gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    As above and just curious is all!!!!!!!!!!
    So can they see what trackers i am connected to if they wanted too or would it come up as downloading from server bla bla bla or would they know its torrents?
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Skillz808's Avatar Shadowness BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    I dont think they can but can someone confirm this ? i would also like to know .

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm not sure if they can pin-point exactly which tracker you use, however I do know that they can definately tell when you've connected to a p2p network. Dozens of peers hammering the same port is a dead give-away.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    They won't know if you turn on encryption

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Since everything you do online has to go through your ISPs server that connects you to the interweb, it's a pretty safe bet that they could monitor that connection.
    If they employ an invisible proxy then every connection request requiring DNS resolution that your computer makes could be recognisable to them.

I don't believe that any ISP is going to monitor users as a matter of course so staying inside any 'fair usage' guidelines they have should prevent you coming to their attention.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    Since everything you do online has to go through your ISPs server that connects you to the interweb, it's a pretty safe bet that they could monitor that connection.
    If they employ an invisible proxy then every connection request requiring DNS resolution that your computer makes could be recognisable to them.

I don't believe that any ISP is going to monitor users as a matter of course so staying inside any 'fair usage' guidelines they have should prevent you coming to their attention.
    I am not enforced by any fair usage policy but i just wanted to know out of curiousity!!!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    My contact to my isp has this in his email signature

/'^'\
    ( o o )
    ====oOOO===(_)===OOOo========

Med vennlig hilsen
    Ole xxxxxxxx Tlf direkte xxxxxxx
    Produktkonsulent Sentralbord xxxxxxxxxxx
    DataGuard AS Fax xxxxxxxxxx

Oooo.
    ======.oooO===( )==========
    ( ) ) /
    \ ( (_/
    \_)
    I think i'm ok with that isp

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Although I do believe that many ISPs can monitor, I don't know if they would actually enforce it unless you were majorly infringing upon their bandwith.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Yes, if they wish to, it is definitely possible.
    It is your ISP which gives you your bandwidth and connection services.
    Your ISP is the biggest spy to you, if they wish to do.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Yeah , I thought about this a while back your ISP is the only that definetly knows when your using a torrent program probaly the files your downloading too since your using most of your bandwidth if you have cable like I do with Time Warner. What if the MPAA of FBI or RAA and w/e else there is decide to demand logs on users of certain ISP providers to get peoople in trouble
    Could they do that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast