Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RNC Presidential Campaign Slogan for '08

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Before addressing the "Clinton pardon" point I would like to state that I am not a fan of presidential pardons. There may be special cases, but these should be rare.

It may seem that Clinton was a pardon machine when just the last day is highlighted, it's a nice piece of spin, but add the fact he pardoned nobody at all in four of the first five years in office, and very few in later years, then you have a bit of context.

"Early in President Clinton’s first term there were signs that he might depart from the consistent practice of his predecessors of relying on the Attorney General’s advice in clemency matters. For example, the White House undertook to respond itself to inquiries about pardon matters, and many of its written responses included a phrase suggesting that the President considered the Justice Department only one of many potential sources of advice. Also, in contrast to past administrations, the Clinton White House did not act on clemency cases in a regular and timely fashion: no grants at all were issued in four of President Clinton’s first five years in office, and only a relative handful of pardons were granted in later years, usually at Christmas. The total number of cases decided did not keep pace with the unprecedented number of new applications each year, so that the case backlog reported by the Pardon Attorney grew steadily larger. When President Clinton departed Washington on January 20, he left behind him well over 3000 pending clemency cases, all of which are now of course the responsibility of the Bush Administration....

Several months before the end of President Clinton’s second term, reports began to circulate that there would be a large number of grants at the end of his term. This by itself would be unusual, for pardoning had in the past taken place regularly and consistently throughout the President’s term and was not reserved until its end. Even more unusual, some pardon applicants and their lawyers were reportedly given to understand, by Justice Department officials and others, that the White House might be receptive to applications filed there directly, given the short time period remaining before the end of the administration. It was said that President Clinton did not want to leave office having pardoned less generously than any President in history, and only three weeks before leaving office he himself remarked publicly on his frustration with the existing system of Justice Department review.

While one might expect some slippage in the ordinary pardon process at the end of an administration, it was clear to anyone familiar with that process that something unprecedented was about to take place."
    source

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Well I hope Bush doesn't feel he has to be as generous with pardons due to past Presidents. I don't think he will be.

Btw, I don't do spin.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Before addressing the "Clinton pardon" point I would like to state that I am not a fan of presidential pardons. There may be special cases, but these should be rare.

It may seem that Clinton was a pardon machine when just the last day is highlighted, it's a nice piece of spin, but add the fact he pardoned nobody at all in four of the first five years in office, and very few in later years, then you have a bit of context.

"Early in President Clinton’s first term there were signs that he might depart from the consistent practice of his predecessors of relying on the Attorney General’s advice in clemency matters. For example, the White House undertook to respond itself to inquiries about pardon matters, and many of its written responses included a phrase suggesting that the President considered the Justice Department only one of many potential sources of advice. Also, in contrast to past administrations, the Clinton White House did not act on clemency cases in a regular and timely fashion: no grants at all were issued in four of President Clinton’s first five years in office, and only a relative handful of pardons were granted in later years, usually at Christmas. The total number of cases decided did not keep pace with the unprecedented number of new applications each year, so that the case backlog reported by the Pardon Attorney grew steadily larger. When President Clinton departed Washington on January 20, he left behind him well over 3000 pending clemency cases, all of which are now of course the responsibility of the Bush Administration....

Several months before the end of President Clinton’s second term, reports began to circulate that there would be a large number of grants at the end of his term. This by itself would be unusual, for pardoning had in the past taken place regularly and consistently throughout the President’s term and was not reserved until its end. Even more unusual, some pardon applicants and their lawyers were reportedly given to understand, by Justice Department officials and others, that the White House might be receptive to applications filed there directly, given the short time period remaining before the end of the administration. It was said that President Clinton did not want to leave office having pardoned less generously than any President in history, and only three weeks before leaving office he himself remarked publicly on his frustration with the existing system of Justice Department review.

While one might expect some slippage in the ordinary pardon process at the end of an administration, it was clear to anyone familiar with that process that something unprecedented was about to take place."
    source

I think the sudden flood of pardons at the very end provides context for the preceding eight years of Clinton's administration, not the other way around.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    God alone knows what sort of hijinx and tomfoolery Bush will be getting up to on his last day.
    I think you can safely assume whatever takes place will be revealed in all it's gory detail.

He may not get the chance, though; if the Dems take the House and Senate, they're going to start impeachment proceedings immediately, or so they say.

Bush had better get his hummer while he can...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    God alone knows what sort of hijinx and tomfoolery Bush will be getting up to on his last day.
    I think you can safely assume whatever takes place will be revealed in all it's gory detail.

He may not get the chance, though; if the Dems take the House and Senate, they're going to start impeachment proceedings immediately, or so they say.

Bush had better get his hummer while he can...
    I can honestly say that if Ole Will Clint was to be impeached, Bush should be imprisoned. Really.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I can honestly say that if Ole Will Clint was to be impeached, Bush should be imprisoned. Really.
    What does it honestly mean that you can say that?

Honestly and Really.

Are you one of those self-appointed (secular) moral arbiters of the left at all (at all).

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    I'd like you to tell me the downs of the Clinton years compared to the ups of the GW years.

I dare ya.
    Your turn.

Please remember to indicate which incidents occurring during Clinton's eight years you feel correspond in magnitude and scope to 9/11, the Indonesian tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, etc.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    rjfan's Avatar Rosebud...
    Whatever you have to say about George W. Bush the fact alone is that this man has had an steel backbone in dealing with this nations current security needs.
    "If I would have been President this would have never happened." John Kerry(L)Mass. Of all of the presumtions and downright assanine remarks I have heard...look, if Mr. Kerry gets to--""America is about second chances"-- be this Nations leader he'd better hope to high hell that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! happens that "wouldnt have happened if I'd had been President." How the hell is it that he gets away with this garbage...."If I'd have been Mayor I would have held back the waters in New Orleans." " If such bullshit-- It makes me think of John Kerry telling Washington.."Youd better not cross the Delaware...you might catch cold!"
    A Republican Senator saying something as completely absurd as what this man has said...they would have asked for his head! The difference is this. The Dems. are the party who are "Concerned with the plight of the little man...we cant be bigots because we invented the idea of flinging it as a label....it also reminds of the Nation of Islam jokes who claim they cant be racist because they dont have the finacial clout to do so! What! I must be a frickin' moron...somebody please explain a liberal to me.
    Last edited by rjfan; 10-20-2006 at 02:55 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I'd like you to tell me the downs of the Clinton years compared to the ups of the GW years.

I dare ya.
    Your turn.

Please remember to indicate which incidents occurring during Clinton's eight years you feel correspond in magnitude and scope to 9/11, the Indonesian tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, etc.
    9/11 - Bush failed. He attacked the right country then ignored it to attack the wrong one. Some tough guy; he sat there after being told our country was under attack.

The Tsunami - not our direct problem. He only upped the amount, twice, just to save face. He even got his dad and ole Will Clint to do fundraising.

Hurricane Katrina - part of the US goes fuck up and biggov is a week out. Sure locals are partly to blame. However, PART OF THE US WENT FUCK UP.
    Then I watch food come in, with Bush of course, so there's a photo op. I remember this teenager crying on Bush's shoulder but he was too busy posing her for a photo. Fucking sickening.

He also appoints an idiot as head of FEMA, tells him good job afterwards when it was CaptainObvious to the rest of the world it wasn't, then says he didn't alert the White House, and turns out he did. WTF!?

I can't say Bush failed on the tsunami (he had to be pushed). But the other 2 were complete failures.

Iraq is his biggest failure. He spearheaded the effort for our military to get into this neverending sinkhole of a war. Now it's about not letting that oil get into worse hands.

Mission Accomplished my ass. Help the Iraqi's my ass.

Bush's idiotics have touched folks everyday lives in a very bad way and that's a little too much for a President.

I know people tend to back their party and defend their affiliated President but Democrat Republican Whig whateverthefuck, this motherfucker is a bona fide fuck up who hasn't a clue.

I really don't see how this can be defended.

Btw, it wasn't my turn. You named the downs of Clinton. No ups for Bush?

I had a thread laid out for this awhile ago and there were only crickets chirping besides the smart asses chiming in.

I also agree that Bush has had more to deal with than Clinton. However, it's quite obvious he was not up for the task. He has been a failure.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by rjfan View Post
    Whatever you have to say about George W. Bush the fact alone is that this man has had an steel backbone in dealing with this nations current security needs.
    "If I would have been President this would have never happened." John Kerry(L)Mass. Of all of the presumtions and downright assanine remarks I have heard...look, if Mr. Kerry gets to--""America is about second chances"-- be this Nations leader he'd better hope to high hell that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! happens that "wouldnt have happened if I'd had been President." How the hell is it that he gets away with this garbage...."If I'd have been Mayor I would have held back the waters in New Orleans." " If such bullshit-- It makes me think of John Kerry telling Washington.."Youd better not cross the Delaware...you might catch cold!"
    A Republican Senator saying something as completely absurd as what this man has said...they would have asked for his head! The difference is this. The Dems. are the party who are "Concerned with the plight of the little man...we cant be bigots because we invented the idea of flinging it as a label....it also reminds of the Nation of Islam jokes who claim they cant be racist because they dont have the finacial clout to do so! What! I must be a frickin' moron...somebody please explain a liberal to me.
    Assinine remarks indeed, I agree....just like your first sentence.

Where was this steel backbone regarding our ports?

What about the slow progress with airline security?

Where was this tough guy when he was told we were under attack? He froze up like he pissed himself as if saying, "I ga go doody". You cannot tell me that if he was a liberal that you wouldn't be saying the same thing.
    Flying in jets for show, walking tough, and taking John Wayne pictures does not make one tough.

Hey lets attack Iraq. We can send the fucking Coast Guard over there? The fook?

This man is Darth Sidious. It's like he's trying to fuck up. OMG!!1OMG!! NOW WE WENEED TEH PATREEHUTT ACT!!!1!1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast