Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC++ vs BT Security

Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    hello,

I am a little paranoid about filesharing- what, in everyone's informed opinion, is 'safer'; using DC++ private hubs, or BT pvt trackers (ie TL, Demonoid, PS).

I tend to notice more blocked packets (using protowall) from BT- which would suggest these pvt sites have been infiltrated by bad ip addresses....according to protowall.

Cheers!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    DC hubs in my opinion, though i have not used DC for years.
    I don't see many DC invite threads and AFAK a DC hub nearly allways has far few users then the usual invite only BT sites. Private DC hubs are harder to infiltrate in my opinion.
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 02-08-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    well if paranoid please unplug that modem
    Open your mind

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    The fact is BT is in the open and most likely the most used app in its field and the easiest also. Therefore it draws alot of attention such as large networks do. Generally would think DC is a bit off the map though thats no gaurantee really. Maybe look into Newsgroups or even IRC if its that stressfull to you...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    well i remember a while back that many uk users got busted running /sharing on the dc+ network but generaly they were after mainstream shit so just try and avoid stuff like that
    Open your mind

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg
    I tend to notice more blocked packets (using protowall) from BT- which would suggest these pvt sites have been infiltrated by bad ip addresses....according to protowall.
    Could this be due to BT connecting to many users at the same time? Although, with DC++ you are usually getting a file from a single person, ie one file per uploader (exception of multi-source clients), even then i doubt that it would be connecting to as many uploaders as BT does.

Just a thought, not sure how it helps in determining which client is the best for security.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    thx for the info people- I assume BT sites (pvt trackers) are alot easier to get access to. The downside to DC is that you have to share alot of files at any one time.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I NEED this
    just stick with BT DC++ is to troublesum

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY View Post
    Maybe look into Newsgroups or even IRC if its that stressfull to you...
    I would defiently recommend checking into Newsgroups, they are more easy to use than DC++ in my opinion, others might think differently. If you get connected with the right sites for .nzb files you will completely forget about your other worthless file sharing networks and go hardcore Newsgroups. But if I had to decide between the two networks you asked I would defiently go with DC++ for security, BT is in the spotlight and also is VERY easy to get IP's from anyone connected.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Torrenter
    DC++. Private BT trackers are quite secure provided the admins are careful but IP addresses are always easily available. However, in terms of security DC++ would be better, though it often takes many GBs of material to get access to decent hubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast