Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First experience with the IDF.

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Well, tomorrow morning I'm off to a basic training IDF camp for 4 days.. First ever experience with the army for me.. which will take up 3 years (at least) of my life once I turn 18..

Mainly all that will be going there is to get to learn how to act in the army, basic physical training, etc. I'm excited, although I have heard from many that it's mainy good fun and should not be taken too seriously

What I'm waiting for the most - The shootout: We have basic training firing an M-16 (11 bullets..), first ever for me with a gun of any sort.. really looking forward to it

Well, wish me luck

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hi Rafi. Good luck. Hope all of your service is a peaceful one.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Take good care, Rafi.

Distinguish yourself in every way possible.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    good luck, be safe and above all listen to those that are telling you things that could save your life.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Hey man good luck You'll do fine, although I don't support the Israeli military you're still doing your country a great honour. I'm assuming you're going in as an enlisted? Or are you going to try to go in as an Officer?

If I were you, I would try to get into the IAF, from what I've heard they have just as good training as the USN pilots do, either way stay safe and good luck.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Enlisted As most parents, mine would rather I did some boring office job, but I'm going to try at least for the air force.

Apparently when it's time for me to actually go in, I will be asked to go through special examinations of some sort because I have aforeign passport (British one), although I have no idea what it's all about.

Anyways, I'm off to school, and from there to the base.. So see ya'll on Friday, bye for now

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    Enlisted As most parents, mine would rather I did some boring office job, but I'm going to try at least for the air force.

Apparently when it's time for me to actually go in, I will be asked to go through special examinations of some sort because I have aforeign passport (British one), although I have no idea what it's all about.

Anyways, I'm off to school, and from there to the base.. So see ya'll on Friday, bye for now
    Ah, cool, either way stay safe and yes it'll be fun, I still remember my IAP like it was yesterday, man oh man did we have fun. It's super tough but it's worth it, I'm not sure if the enlisted and Officer training is the same so don't compare my experiences w/ yours because they might be different......not to mention that you're in the IDF and I'm in the CF lol two totally diff countries.

Keep your head down when it gets rough and you'll do fine.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Am back.. was absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

It's just I'm bloody tired so I'll write more about my experiences tomorrow

Good night for now.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    Am back.. was absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

It's just I'm bloody tired so I'll write more about my experiences tomorrow

Good night for now.
    We anxiously await your report, sir.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Well.. here we go:

Got there first day (Monday), and were divided into 2 - boys and girls. Then, the boys were divided into 3 teams - 1, 2 and 3 - I was in 3.
    We then met our.. well, I guess sergeant for the week, and after the whole week went by I must say she was the best one we could have got.
    Anyhow, on the first day it wasn't too amazing - mainly lots of time tasks (go stand in a circle by the food room within 7 seconds.. GO GO GO!!), and quite a few kids didn't take it as seriouse as they needed, so were told to go for 10,20, or 30 push ups.. multiple times . We also had some weaponry lessons.

The second day was a little better, again lots of time tasks, still not everyone was willing to give the right ammount of attention, ut it was cool.. we went out to the open fields, built tents, and many other things outdoors which I can't remember right this second. In the evening we went out for a proper trek out in the woods and the open areas, about 4 KM, half way we opened the strecher and one of the kids lay on it and we took him the rest of the weay (he wasn't injured.. just for the practice of how to take a strecher).
    Got back, and were expecting a rough night in the tents, but the sleeping bags were not there for some technical reason, so lucky for us - we slept in the dorms again . We also had a weapon lesson on how to hold the M-16 properly in each position (standing, crouched, and lying down).

Day 3 - got up early as usual (around 5:30 AM), and again some time tasks here and there. We then carried on to do the obstacle course which wasn't too difficult, but apparently soldiers do this course with 14-30 KG of extra weight on them (weaponry, helmets, flakjackets..). After this we went and started to learn the marches for the end of day 4 - the last day, because we were doing a ceremony for finishing the wekk This was extremely annoying because our feet ached and in fact it was pretty boring too..... Went for the last weaponry lesson, and then to bed.

Day 4, the last day - woke up at 4:50 AM, and were outside by 5:20 AM... Quick time tasks, and then left the base for the shootout at around 6:30-7 AM. Got there, and were divided into groups of 15 (because 15 shoot at any one time). I was in the second 15, and I was landed with a shitty M-16: I did all the things needed to get te weapon ready, shot the first bullet, tried the second - didn't work. Got the captain to fix it, shot the second one. Treid the 3rd. diodn't work, she fixed it again. Shot the 3rd bullet, tried the 4th, didn't work. Then they changed my weapon, and I had 6 bullets left. By this time everyone was finished, and the next 15 were outside waiting, so I was shooting my last 6 bullets with everyone watching me.. was pretty cool, and the shootout was sooo amazing..

Got back, had a quick and crappy lunch (tinned army food, like day 2 in the feilds), and then carried on with the marches.. came the evening, mum came, as did most of the parents, and we did our ceremony, which I must say looked GREAT, finished it all, them we broke the distance with our sergeant - her name was Alina, and she was amazing.. really a cool and sweet 19 year old girl whi was here for only about a year in the army..

All in all, I must say it's one week I'll never forget because I actually learnt a hell of a lot about the army, got to know new people from my class and become frends, and learnt how to deal with rough conditions..

So that's that.. can't wait to go into the army for real

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast