Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent vs. Newsgroups

WhiteWizard20's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Hi, I was wondering what is the better and safer way to go downloading things? Do you prefer downloading torrents from a private bittorrent site or newsgroups? Which private bittorrent sites and newsgroups are the best and why? I am basically looking for good speed, new and old stuff being available, willing to pay/donate money and a nice community. Thanks for all of your input.
    Last edited by WhiteWizard20; 09-18-2007 at 01:38 AM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    0.0 BT Rep: +1
    torrents are free and usualy faster, usenet has a lot of old files but emule too and is free

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Newsgroups looks crappy :
    *monthly fee
    *old stuff
    *slow ass speed

BitTorrent looks better :
    *Absolutely free, thou some brainless peopz pay for invites...
    *Good speed on new torrents
    *Scene releases
    *You can support Torrent tracker only if you want, it means you don't have to pay a cent, if you don't want...
    *The very wide choice in variety of tracker from Aussie to African to Asian, you have everything...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdo2g View Post
    Newsgroups looks crappy good :
    *monthly fee
    *old stuff
    *slow ass speed max out your connection on everything you download not just new stuff
    *Scene releases
    *cant be caught downloading
    *dont have to upload to maintain ratio
    *no need to scrounge around for invites to sites that will probably ban you anyway.

BitTorrent looks better :
    *Absolutely free, thou some brainless peopz pay for invites...
    *Good speed on new torrents
    *Scene releases
    *You can support Torrent tracker only if you want, it means you don't have to pay a cent, if you don't want...
    *The very wide choice in variety of tracker from Aussie to African to Asian, you have everything...
    FIXED

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Depends on what sort of connection you have if you ask me. If you have assymetric speeds like most of us you are better off with newsgroups - no uploading/ratio BS just download what you want when you want at max rate.

If you are lucky enough to have a symmetric fast connection at home/own server etc use private torrent, get a killer ratio and download what you want when you want.

I have a 20/1 mbit connection and use USENET mostly, but private trackers for the occasional thing i cant find on usenet/noone will post.
    Last edited by asdrewq; 09-18-2007 at 02:34 PM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Member BT Rep: +1
    if security is your main concern, go with newsgroup.

if you want free download, or getting releases at the earliest time possible (10 hours early), go with private trackers.

also for some rare files you have to go with specialized trackers.

you can max out your download speed with either a premium newsgroup server or a good private tracker.

you can request in newsgroup, but not every request is filled. probably the best private trackers will do better in this regard, but i don't know for sure.
    Last edited by huqiming; 09-18-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Never say "great giveaway", you may get an infraction.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Newsgroups for the win.

Way i see it, i can pay a little more, but have loads more access to EVERYTHING and constantly MAX out my connection.

Plus, Newsgroups doesn't suck the shit out of your upload, so you can still do things whilst downloading.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Even the better thing out is still Rapidshare, Megashares and so on it's better than Newsgroups in my view, because i can compare Newsgroups to Limewire or such as emule they are slow for me...
    With Rapidshare i get what i want when i want and for free since i uploaded some few things on a free account then i got premium... But newsgroups doesn't offer that kind of stuff, they like the money too much and advertising too much as well...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I prefer bittorrent, seeing as how it has always been faster for me. With newsgroups, you pay money. With rapidshare, you have to pay money if you want to actually download more than a few 100mb's.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    WhiteWizard20's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I am a member of two private tracker sites right now and keeping a good ratio is no problem for me. I just have to seed a little more or else download partial popular torrents and seed those. I have a verizon internet connection at home. I can't wait to get fios speed sometime.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast