Thread: Using Torrents @ Uni Halls

Unsure

Hi, ive recently moved in2 uni halls in the UK, bt am gutted that i cant use utorrent here ! any1 know of any torrent software that i may b able 2 use?? I hav heard a program (non torrent) called Ares works, im currently readin up about it to see what its like but would much rather stick to torrents!

Please help ?!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    For a university student your english is terrible.
    Your best bet is to have a chat with a few of the admins. Normally they are also students like you working off there uni debts so they are approachable. Ask them about p2p and what their official and unofficial policy is on it.

sometimes you will get lucky and they let you download large files at off peak times. Hell one of my admins showed me his setup that connected straight to a machine outside the firewall and squid proxy server so he could easily share.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    upGrayde's Avatar Tax Evader BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    For a university student your english is terrible.
    Your best bet is to have a chat with a few of the admins. Normally they are also students like you working off there uni debts so they are approachable. Ask them about p2p and what their official and unofficial policy is on it.

sometimes you will get lucky and they let you download large files at off peak times. Hell one of my admins showed me his setup that connected straight to a machine outside the firewall and squid proxy server so he could easily share.
    that's how they type/chat/talk in the uk
    Alright.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    no - it isn't how we type and talk in the UK, only a small minority of people talk or type in such a way.
    Anyways, ISPs (especially educational ones) have really cracked down on internet filesharing at Uni and your probably gonna get caught. I know as I work for one of these establishments!!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by sshaw1982 View Post
    no - it isn't how we type and talk in the UK, only a small minority of people talk or type in such a way.
    Anyways, ISPs (especially educational ones) have really cracked down on internet filesharing at Uni and your probably gonna get caught. I know as I work for one of these establishments!!!
    out of cusriosity do you work in the it department and if so what do you use to filter outp2p apps or is it more a case of just looking at usage and telling off the students.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Just use a proxie and you should be fine.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    fair enuf bout the english, i wouldnt type like this if i was doing some work or watever but come on ! does it realy matter about speling and stuf on a forum like ths?

k thanks for the ideas, but sorry i dnt know what a proxie is, also its not actualy a university run halls, but a private halls with a 16mb connection shared between 105 people - yeah is prety poor!! i have asked some of the people who have been here for longer but they say they dont realy download stuf so wudnt kno !

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Dr. Lecter's Avatar Zeppelin For Life BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    Lots of sites like Bitme, Bitmetv & others will diables u're account after they find out u're using a proxy.
    They don't allow it...
    Take that in u're consideration....

AssuMption iS tHe mOthEr oF All fUcKuPs !

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    Lots of sites like Bitme, Bitmetv & others will diables u're account after they find out u're using a proxy.
    They don't allow it...
    Take that in u're consideration....

Thats if your using a Tornod, or a public proxie. If you acctually pay or have someone hosting a private proxie they would be able to tell anyways.

They ban them cause so many people who were banned just go get on a public proxie and they are back on the site again. Do you blame them for not liking public proxies? I sure as heck dont. I ban proxies as well if they are using public ones.