Thread: Req: Geforce4 Mx440 Help

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I just replaced my old 32MB TNT2 with a new 64MB Geforce4 MX440 (the best card my system could handle). 3D games like GTA3 and Wolfenstein play much better now. However, when I play a video file in Windows Media Player the quality seems worse than it was with my old card (particularly mpegs). It's not that they're unwatchable, they just seem a little distorted and blocky. I was wondering if anyone knew of a display setting I could change, or some other way to improve 2D video performance. Or is it just a flaw with this particular brand/model (Jaton Video-158PCI-64Twin)?

My OS is Win98.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Hi, I have the same card and I dont have any probs with it. All I can suggest is go to the main website and update the drivers. Hope that helps.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    what about trying a different player? maybe bs player
    it could be a wmp specific problem

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I have the same card too! No problems.

It is a very good card, indeed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I know this has nothing to do with my video quality issue, but just out of curiosity how much power supply do you guys have? I searched all over the net for the minimum required for this card and I couldn't find it anywhere. Mine is only 200 Watts and I think that's pushing it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    200w does sound pretty low, however, the safe minimum depends on the rest of your system spec. the minimum recommended these days is around 300w, my power supply unit (psu) is 420w, however, that's a bit excessive

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Nightwolf,i don't have the same card(close) but i've experenced the same problem,and i can't rember the solution either I can rembr one of the options in the overlay crontrols or the nveiw controls or a combination off the two cuts off video hardware acceleration which covers mpegs (vcd,dvd),play with them options and u should sort it,if i
    rembr arl come back

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Those of you who have the same (or similar) card, are you using the manufacturer's drivers or nVidia's Detonator drivers? I tried them with my old TNT2 and they actually made my system run slower. That's why I'm affraid to try them again. But maybe they'll work better with a Geforce card?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    m8 at the moment i'm usin my manufacturer's drivers 43.00 which
    is workin great, but i usualy use the nVidia's Detonator ones i just hav'nt got round to d/lin the 43.45 yet,hav'nt had no probs to remind me.U could always tri the nvidia 1's and if they start playin up just roll back the driver in device manager