Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veils

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Let me explain my position with regard to people wearing veils. I absolutely, without question, support any woman or man's right to wear a veil. It's nobody's business but their own.

I also support the right of a bank to say that they cannot enter that bank whilst wearing a veil. I support the right of schools and parents to say that you cannot teach wearing a veil. I support the right of airports to say that you cannot board a plane wearing a veil. I support the right of the Police to say that you can't drive wearing a veil, or enter a dispertion zone wearing a veil.

In essence I totally support anyone's right to disguise themselves, whilst at the same time supporting other people's right to exclude them from sensitive situations.

Seems fair to me. I will respect other people's beliefs, I expect no less from them.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Let me explain my position with regard to people wearing veils. I absolutely, without question, support any woman or man's right to wear a veil. It's nobody's business but their own.

I also support the right of a bank to say that they cannot enter that bank whilst wearing a veil. I support the right of schools and parents to say that you cannot teach wearing a veil. I support the right of airports to say that you cannot board a plane wearing a veil. I support the right of the Police to say that you can't drive wearing a veil, or enter a dispertion zone wearing a veil.

In essence I totally support anyone's right to disguise themselves, whilst at the same time supporting other people's right to exclude them from sensitive situations.

Seems fair to me. I will respect other people's beliefs, I expect no less from them.

Can't argue with that.

The recent case is interesting in that the young lady went for an interview sans veil and then turned up for the job with. If a nudist interviewed in a suit and then turned up alfresco (as it were) one could imagine the employer might be dismayed.

Personally I believe a lot of the recent difficulties have been caused by political activists rather than the deeply religious - although I appreciate that young hotheads rarely are able to tell the difference.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    rjfan's Avatar Rosebud...
    I agree you certainly cant tell someone what they can and cannot wear in public..other than the obvious(birthday suit). the thing that concerns me is that this may indeed bring moderate Muslims into the fray. there will be the claims of discrimination againts a religion..and indeed that is what it is. what is to be said of the flight attendant(i forget where it was) who was not allowed to wear a cross because the airline used the excuse of We dont allow jewelry to be worn.
    Rules are rules and the lady certainly has to follow them-if at the time of her hiring she was made aware that this was indeed a rule. perhaps by subjugating
    symbols of christianity we feel that we wil not Upset the Religion of Peace. There are a million and one instances of rediculous PC behavior. its funny how in this country the 1st amendment right to practice religion has turned againt Actually being able to practice it and more of the right of the non-believer(as it were) to not have to be exposed to it.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rjfan View Post
    I agree you certainly cant tell someone what they can and cannot wear in public..other than the obvious(birthday suit).
    i think nudism should be allowed. I honestly don't see why we allow people to wear what they like and not allow them to be in the nip.
    Once nudism is ok, then we can move onto allowing sex in public.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    What about the cigarette afterwards, would there be an exemption?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    What about the cigarette afterwards, would there be an exemption?
    Public sex sans dessert, then...how fair is that?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

Here's the point, JP:

Your view is entirely too sane and reasonable, that is to say, however, that it is in no way politic.

It leaves no space for effective rebuttal, refutation, nor ignorance, and is therefore shite, you see?

Political axiom:

Effective arguments produce no fertilizer, and are therefore useless.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I agree you certainly cant tell someone what they can and cannot wear in public..other than the obvious(birthday suit). the thing that concerns me is that this may indeed bring moderate Muslims into the fray. there will be the claims of discrimination againts a religion..and indeed that is what it is. what is to be said of the flight attendant(i forget where it was) who was not allowed to wear a cross because the airline used the excuse of We dont allow jewelry to be worn.
    Rules are rules and the lady certainly has to follow them-if at the time of her hiring she was made aware that this was indeed a rule. perhaps by subjugating
    symbols of christianity we feel that we wil not Upset the Religion of Peace. There are a million and one instances of rediculous PC behavior. its funny how in this country the 1st amendment right to practice religion has turned againt Actually being able to practice it and more of the right of the non-believer(as it were) to not have to be exposed to it.
    You might have missed the point.

It has nothing to do with religion or jewelry. It comes down to a disguise.

I am allowed to wear my winter face mask

outside but it is inappropriate in most places.

If I don't wanna show my identity, a place has the right to tell me to fuck off.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 10-20-2006 at 04:24 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    rjfan's Avatar Rosebud...
    If youre buying the disguise bit, then more power to you. if it isnt about religion than why would any muslim object?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    If youre buying the disguise bit, then more power to you. if it isnt about religion than why would any muslim object?
    To them it's about religion. Again, my winter mask has no religious connotation.

I don't see the same happening with Sikhs. All hats would have to be banned.

Put it this way. Do you think that a woman could go into a government building veiled? What about after she properly identified herself to get in?

Think about it. Do you think people are thinking, "That women's a Muslim. She's has to GTFO!"

No her frigging face is covered. "Who the hell is she?" (or he actually)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast