Thread: Windows Update BORKED! by IE7, Solution?

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    OK I'm a loyal Opera user.

Wtf I'll try IE7. Finally found one that would install.

But when I go to WU. To check if I can still get updates through WU. A basic page (not WU) gives me instructions to add the WU urls as trusted sites. Tools - Internet Options. The Internet Options box has one of those lovely yellow M$ banners at the bottom saying, "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." The option to apply the changes is greyed out. So I'm concluding WU doesn't think I'm the Administrator. And I definitely am the Administrator. So I'm SOL on WU. WU is just about the only thing I use IE for. Any solutions to allow access to WU in IE7? Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Active x problem ? Does windizupdate work for you ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yeah peat WU works. But .....

I'll restate, hopefully in a clearer manner. My plight & progress. From help from another MMember from another board & my fooling around.

When I go to WU in IE7, which worked in IE6. To check if I can still get updates through WU. A basic page (not WU) gives me instructions to add the WU urls as trusted sites. Tools - Internet Options. They're already in the trusted sites. The Internet Options box has one of those lovely yellow M$ banners at the bottom saying, "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." I definitely am the Administrator.

Another MMember from another board suggested I change the security settings.

I go to WU. WU is shown in the restricted zone (not the trusted zone) on the Status Bar. And in Tools - Internet Options, the 2 WU urls are still listed in trusted sites. So I lower the security settings in the restricted zone. After IE7 is restarted, IE7 itself says these browser setting are unsafe. After IE7 is made "unsafe" then I can access & use WU. And going to WU is 99% of what I want IE7 to do.

And from that I copied the 44 (yes 44) settings from the trusted zone to the restricted zone. WU works but IE7 still tells me the settings are unsafe.

Can Anybody tell me how to get WU site recognized as a trusted site? Or how to lower the security settings in the restricted zone & access & use WU, without making IE7 unsafe?

Thanks.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Assigning sites to different zones. (Getting WU to work in IE7, at least for me)

Start - Run - gpedit.msc

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control
    Panel\Security Page

"Site to Zone Assignment List"

ENABLED

And this solved my windows update problem. I entered these two sites & assigned them a value of 2 (Trusted Sites Zone).

h**p://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

h**p://*.windowsupdate.com

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Its just amazing you found the solution, but.......how the hell did you think of it??

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Somebody mention in a thread about IE7. How to move the menu bar on top of the address bar.

The thread mentioned gpedit.msc. And I searched gpedit.msc & found:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control
    Panel\Security Page