Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelby...

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    The modern chaps have a restrictor on them, cutting the top speed from over 180 to about 150.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    The modern chaps have a restrictor on them, cutting the top speed from over 180 to about 150.
    What "modern chaps"?

They stopped making them in '66, ffs.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #33
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Look mate it's now my fault he sold his name to Ford. So don't start getting all sniffy about it.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

Exactly what are we talking about here?

There's a GT500 in manufacture now, the rebuilt '67 Smith posted, and at least a concept Cobra from 2005, and wasn't there another Shelby a couple of years ago as well that was intended to resemble the original Cobras?

I assume one of them is a "modern chap"

Edit: apparently there were some limited edition Cobras back in '02 as well, 40th anniversary stuff, or something.
    Last edited by Snee; 10-24-2006 at 09:24 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post

There's a GT500 in manufacture now, the rebuilt '67 Smith posted, and at least a concept Cobra from 2005, and wasn't there another Shelby a couple of years ago as well that was intended to resemble the original Cobras?

Edit: apparently there were some limited edition Cobras back in '02 as well, 40th anniversary stuff, or something.
    There have been kits around since the early '80s; I've helped build a few.

The comparison fails, though, as the kits are of more-or-less universal flexibility as to powerplant, and the original 427 (7 liter) cross-bolt Fords don't grow on trees.

Many of the kit cars were marketed as affordable owing to the plethora of popular small-block Ford and Chevrolet engines in the 300-350 cubic-inch (5.0-5.7 liter) range.

Much cheaper to build up, too.

BTW-

Such kits range in price from around 6K (US) to 20k or so, depending on options.

The "Eleanor" GT500 clones are absurd-upward of 160K as I've seen, and that's with a 351 CID block stroked-and-bored to 427 CID.
    Last edited by j2k4; 10-24-2006 at 10:32 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #36
    manker's Avatar effendi
    j2 lauding a blunderbuss. A weapon so notoriously inaccurate that, more often than not, it would maim or kill someone the discharge wasn't intended for.

I don't know ... can I equate that to keeping a gun in the family home.

Fuck it, of course I can.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    You're like a modern day michael moore

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post

There have been kits around since the early '80s; I've helped build a few.

The comparison fails, though, as the kits are of more-or-less universal flexibility as to powerplant, and the original 427 (7 liter) cross-bolt Fords don't grow on trees.

Many of the kit cars were marketed as affordable owing to the plethora of popular small-block Ford and Chevrolet engines in the 300-350 cubic-inch (5.0-5.7 liter) range.

Much cheaper to build up, too.

BTW-

Such kits range in price from around 6K (US) to 20k or so, depending on options.

The "Eleanor" GT500 clones are absurd-upward of 160K as I've seen, and that's with a 351 CID block stroked-and-bored to 427 CID.
    I was thinking more of the actual Ford/Shelby ones rather than any kit-cars, and these, which I think has a slightly more official tint to them (although they may well be called kit-cars).

Dunno' if the 427-versions of the last ones are restricted (or whatever you'd call it) in any way, tho'. They shouldn't be, 'cos that'd be silly

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    > any car evar built in merkinland.

fact

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

10. Lounge   -   #40
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Were the last MGs ever built properly British?

I know they've got a Union Jack on them ...
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast