Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: What Did They Die For?

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Once again I have to give kudos for jay giving a straight answer.

It's a rarity folks.

1. His use of a thesaurus in the above post was "highly lacking".

2. He used the words that came to mind to convey his thoughts.

3. The lack of riddles is also lacking. I could not find one single question mark in his post nor a misinredirect.

We should all be proud of him. This is an astounding achievement.

Please all, let's encourage this in him for future posts. Sure his post rate, and all of ours for that matter, would go down in the process, but I think it's a step in the right direction of being direct and coherent.

Many of us have large vocabularies, and some of us don't and so choose to use thesauruses to make up for it. Ultimately, the point is to convey what you mean to the reader or listener and not to show you know another word for confused and choose to try to flummox your audience rather than simply confuse them.

Good job, jay. Good job.
    I don't use a thesaurus.

Also, you have no idea how many utterly incredible posts you've (dis)missed because you don't use a thesaurus.

Fact.

Truth, as well.

BTW-

Have you noticed how the tone and content of your posting has risen since you've been under my influence?

Amazing, isn't it?

Even vid's has improved a bit; no small achievement.
    The tone and content of my posts are up and down depending on my mood.

Your arrogance is quite amusing sometimes though when you aren't being a bore.

I've dismissed your posts due to it's lack of content. Using a thesaurus to say something simple is boring and a waste of time. That's part me being impatient and part me in the past having to deal with roundabout talkers in high school and college that tried to mask their lack of substance with spell-check words.

Hell I have a short voice-mail message that instructs those leaving a message to be "brief and concise".

Tell me the "what" and move on. Use of an extensive vocab is good for grabbing the listener, not showing that you can use an extensive vocab. This can range from the "motherfuckers" and "biatches" to the "profundity" and "platitudinous".
    Last edited by Busyman™; 11-22-2006 at 04:57 AM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    [
    I've dismissed your posts due to it's lack of content.

Keep working on your syntax.

Tell me the "what" and move on. Use of an extensive vocab is good for grabbing the listener, not showing that you can use an extensive vocab. This can range from the "motherfuckers" and "biatches" to the "profundity" and "platitudinous".
    Congratulations on your spelling.

Once you've learned the value of consistency, we'll work on your use of logic and brush up on your objectivity.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    [
    I've dismissed your posts due to it's lack of content.

Keep working on your syntax.

Congratulations on your spelling.

Once you've learned the value of consistency, we'll work on your use of logic and brush up on your objectivity.
    I don't care. You can't work on anything. You put more stock into it than I do.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

I've dismissed your posts due to it's lack of content. Using a thesaurus to say something simple is boring and a waste of time. That's part me being impatient and part me in the past having to deal with roundabout talkers in high school and college that tried to mask their lack of substance with spell-check words.
    I think you are just covetous of J2's vocabulary to be honest, for all your purported powers of ratiocination you do seem to have a rather modest word-stock further hampered by a lack of understanding of the words you do have. I recall, for instance, your hilarious misuse of "soliloquy". Also frequent difficulties with coherent sentence structure, I'm not talking of problems with commas and periods but honest-to-god complete nonsense.

Your trick when you need to mask a "lack of substance" (like your "roundabout talker"'s trick), is to spell words wrong intentionally (I think you're attempting some sort of gangsta' or jive talk, I'm never really sure...) and insult the poster with stock insults or digs about how much more educated they are than yourself.

The thing is, I am sure that your posts sound good in your head before you write them down but you do have a problem in expressing your opinions in a manner that is understandable to your audience. Oddly enough, expanding your own vocabulary would probably help your communication problem. Read a book or something, I recommend The Picture of Dorian Gray.

So this thread is about other people's posting styles then?*

*Or complete lack of style in this case?
    Last edited by Cheese; 11-22-2006 at 11:28 AM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post

I think you are just covetous of J2's vocabulary to be honest, for all your purported powers of ratiocination you do seem to have a rather modest word-stock further hampered by a lack of understanding of the words you do have. I recall, for instance, your hilarious misuse of "soliloquy". Also frequent difficulties with coherent sentence structure, I'm not talking of problems with commas and periods but honest-to-god complete nonsense.

Your trick when you need to mask a "lack of substance" (like your "roundabout talker"'s trick), is to spell words wrong intentionally (I think you're attempting some sort of gangsta' or jive talk, I'm never really sure...) and insult the poster with stock insults or digs about how much more educated they are than yourself.

The thing is, I am sure that your posts sound good in your head before you write them down but you do have a problem in expressing your opinions in a manner that is understandable to your audience. Oddly enough, expanding your own vocabulary would probably help your communication problem. Read a book or something, I recommend The Picture of Dorian Gray.

It's such a pity he has little chance of understanding that.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106

What the fuck do you mean?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    I can give a half-hearted acknowledgment to some of your proclamation, but it doesn't change a thing, so why don't you jump in the boat along with vid, and try to offer up a finished scenario which ends constructively?
    As I said years ago, and I stick to it ... this will be stopped only by negotiation. We've had 5 years of the US doing it their way after 9\11 and what is the progress report? Afghanistan in an absolute mess, the warlords promoted to government and supplying 80+% of the world's heroin, whilst the ordinary people long for the days of the Taliban ... and where is bin Laden?

Then you have Iraq, no threat to anyone, no connection to terrorism except a nominal payment to families of suicide bombers, now in a state of civil war, the whole area destabilised, terrorists everywhere, the world Muslim community up in arms, and two of the countries from madman Bush's 'axis of evil', Syria and Iran, seen as the only way forward. 65,000 deaths for what?

It makes this statement look rather lame, to say the least ..

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Terrorists will be defined by the U.S. government, and we'll kill them in Afghanistan, Iraq, or anywhere else they can be found.
    Anywhere else they can be found certainly broadens your horizons, because now, thanks to the madman, they are everywhere, good job boys, you certainly know how to turn a molehill into a mountain!

Guilt, especially as defined by the like of bleeding hearts such as yourself, is not now, never has been, and never will be a plank of our foreign policy.
    Which is why your foreign policies "is not now, never has been, and never will" work.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

What the fuck do you mean?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    As I said years ago, and I stick to it ... this will be stopped only by negotiation. We've had 5 years of the US doing it their way after 9\11 and what is the progress report? Afghanistan in an absolute mess, the warlords promoted to government and supplying 80+% of the world's heroin, whilst the ordinary people long for the days of the Taliban ... and where is bin Laden?

Then you have Iraq, no threat to anyone, no connection to terrorism except a nominal payment to families of suicide bombers, now in a state of civil war, the whole area destabilised, terrorists everywhere, the world Muslim community up in arms, and two of the countries from madman Bush's 'axis of evil', Syria and Iran, seen as the only way forward. 65,000 deaths for what?

It makes this statement look rather lame, to say the least ..

Terrorists will be defined by the U.S. government, and we'll kill them in Afghanistan, Iraq, or anywhere else they can be found.
    Anywhere else they can be found certainly broadens your horizons, because now, thanks to the madman, they are everywhere, good job boys, you certainly know how to turn a molehill into a mountain!

Guilt, especially as defined by the like of bleeding hearts such as yourself, is not now, never has been, and never will be a plank of our foreign policy.
    Which is why your foreign policies "is not now, never has been, and never will" work.
    Just giving the unemployed radical Muslims something to do.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    Just giving the unemployed radical Muslims something to do.
    I'm sorry, is Kev sick? Did he ask you to reply for him?

Please give him my regards, and I hope he feels better soon.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast