Thread: Danish ISP Must Block AllofMP3.com

In a quiet legal proceeding that caught little in the way of media attention, the IFPI brought a civil lawsuit against Danish ISP Tele2, demanding the cessation of customer access to AllofMP3.com. Tele2 is one of Europe’s largest ISPs, and like anywhere else in the world, has its fair share of customers who enjoy the Russian gray market site. The IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) brought the lawsuit in hopes of forcing the ISP to block AllofMP3.com from its customers.

The IFPI has accomplished its mission. In a decision rendered today, a court ruled that Tele2 must block AllofMP3.com from its Danish customers. The Danish recording industry had been active in its attempts to prevent Danish citizens from accessing the site, however it wasn’t until the IFPI became involved did the tide turn in the music industry’s favor.

The telecommunications industry in Denmark has expressed outrage and concern over the verdict, as they feel it implies ISPs are now responsible for the activities of their users – not to mention a legal gray area where no verdict has been made against AllofMP3.

“I’m shocked about the verdict, and view it as censorship. Tele2 and other Internet service providers provide free access to information on the internet, but now have to sort this information,” said Ib Tholstrup, Director of the Telecommunication Business Organization (rough translation). “This is unknown territory for us, and it is the same as if the Post Offices should read all the letters they are handling. I deeply condemn this verdict.”

Sebastian Gjerding, spokesperson of The Piracy Group in Denmark, shared the telecommunication industry’s indignation. The Piracy Group (Piratgruppen) is an organization that petitions for copyright reform and advocates consumer rights.

“This shows clearly that the IFPI poses a threat to the concept of free communication. There obviously are no limits to how far they are willing to go in their war against piracy, even though it means a limit of free communications. In China, citizens can’t visit sites that are legal in other countries, but that the Chinese government does not approve. That policy is now being brought to Denmark.”

“We can now only wait and hope that the Civil Court will come to their senses, and reverse the verdict on the appeal. However, if this does not happen, there are alternative ways to get around the issue. Technical matters that tries to censor the internet are often easy to outwit, and The Piracy Group are more than willing to teach people how to do it.”

Tele2 is committed to appealing the verdict. Currently, AllofMP3.com is still available to Tele2 customers, but for how long is not currently known.

Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1321

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    true_neo's Avatar The Dark Lord Revan
    I am with Tele2 =P
    Course I don't ever visit that site, I get my music from eMule XD
    Sage goes in the signature field.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Well, right now most of the major isp's in Denmark (tdc, cybercity and telia) have blocked allofmp3.com. I hope the initiative from piratebay is going to reverse this.