Thread: FAT32 Error Message

Dray74
    Hey I am back.... Think I have gotten my first dilema figured out, now I have a new one. When I attempt to use WinRar on a DVD file (I believe my first file was an avi not DVD) file once it gets to almost 100% it gives me the following error message....NTSF or whatever it is will only allow files larger then 4.0GB or something along those lines? I know I just purchased a new laptop yesterday and only now realized it is set up for FAT32. Can I get around this error?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I think the max file cut off is just shy of 4gbs for a FAT32 file structure.

If you want to deal with the file in question you will have to reformat to NTSF. I think it could be done without a reinstall, but I am unsure. Considering you only have a day's worth of information on the computer, reformating wouldn't be the end of the world.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    To convert a volume to NTFS

Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type: convert <drive_letter>: /fs:ntfs
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    you could also use a program like partition magic if u dont want to go into cmd etc

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Dray74
    Okay so if I try to convert from the command prompt I wont screw anything up?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Nope.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008