Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 56k Bandwidth Question

Originally posted by Switeck@13 May 2003 - 03:32
    Yep, he doesn't have an unlimited upload speed -- which he has found out in spades when he has uploads enabled.

So why doesn't he set uploads to 64 kbit (8 KB/sec) and only 1-3 uploads at a time?
    Very true. my downloads are allowed 1GB a day, though my uploads are only allowed 250MB a day. Also, my download speeds go beyond 300kb/s at times, though uploads never go pass 50kb/s. Thus I set my uploads to 512 kbit (64 KB/s), and allow 3 to 5 slots. It must be more strenuous on an ISP to upload for some reason as this seems very common.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by REALITY@13 May 2003 - 02:43
    my downloads are allowed 1GB a day, though my uploads are only allowed 250MB a day. Also, my download speeds go beyond 300kb/s at times, though uploads never go pass 50kb/s. Thus I set my uploads to 512 kbit (64 KB/s), and allow 3 to 5 slots. It must be more strenuous on an ISP to upload for some reason as this seems very common.
    You do realize you're probably blowing past those bandwidth limits/caps in a couple hours. A good v.90 56k on a great phone line uploading at 3 KB/sec on average could upload more than 250 MB in 1 day. 1 GB a day of downloads is less than 100 kilobits/sec (12.5 KB/sec) -- the minimum speed classified as 'broadband' is 128 kilobits/sec.

Many ISPs have a fixed amount of bandwidth -- which they can divide between upstream and downstream. Since until lately, most people weren't using bandwidth-intensive p2p programs, downstream was often allocated even as high as a 10:1 ratio to upstream bandwidth so the ISP wouldn't need as fast of an internet portal/gateway connection. They also over-allocate their bandwidth on the assumption that most of the people won't be using it MOST of the time. So for every 10 or even 20 1-megabit cablemodem connections, the ISP might only have 1 megabit of REAL bandwidth to connect to the internet (although inside the ISP, their bandwidth between cablemodems can be MUCH higher.) Thus, they harrass the 'bandwidth hogs' because it degrades everyone else's connections performance and hurts their bottom line. Many aren't making much of a profit and are often DEEP in debt because the infrastructure for a broadband service is extremely high and the profit-per-customer often depends on LACK of use...

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Hey thats just like a membership at the gym, if everyone showed up that was a member you would be outside standing in line for a couple of hours.

Regarding my bandwidth, I only download around 1GB a day to stay within my limits and have changed my upload to 256kilobits (32KB/s), as I never seem to get beyond that anyway. I also noticed in the 2.10build3, the configuration tool automatically puts the preselect option for fast cable at 216kilobits (27KB/s) for upload. Of course I am not being uploaded from 24/7, nor at maximum speeds, at times 56kers sit in my slots uploading at 3kb/s. I watch my limits because it is only fair to everyone else on the system, and after all I only pay $30 per month, what a deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12