Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 56k Bandwidth Question

Hi,

I would like to know how setting my bandwidth to unlimited(which it is always set at)actually helps k-lite users to download from me, as I have a snail of a 56k connection.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    setting your bandwidth to unlimited helps others to download at the maxium allowed of your connection, but i dont recommend doing this if your surfing or downloading on 56k, depending on the popularity of the files.

When surfing i tend to turn kazza off as it slows the connection to a halt, just set it to the lowest seting 3kb's and you should be fine.

I'm on 56k and i feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by junkyardking@11 May 2003 - 00:42
    When surfing i tend to turn kazza off as it slows the connection to a halt, just set it to the lowest seting 3kb's and you should be fine.
    I believe to achieve a 3kb/s cap you want to set the value to 24. If I remember correctly, 8 bits equls 1 byte, thus 24 divided 8 equals 3. Also please set the number of users you allow to upload to 1, so that the user uploading can at least get the 3kb/s, instead of splitting it between multiple users. No one likes getting an upload at .5kb/s.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    For a 56k, it will be faster in EVERY way to set uploads to 32kilobits/sec (4 KB/sec) or 24kilobits/sec (3 KB/sec) -- than leaving it set to unlimited.

The only exception is the rare v.92 modems which can have up to 48 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth. They might upload *slightly* faster set to 64kilobits/sec instead of 32kilobits/sec -- but what would be ideal for them would be putting in an upload speed of 36-46kilobits/sec (which can only be done via a registry hack.)

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED
    It would be stupid to set it to unlimet for 56k users no point!!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Some people can't share because the rest of their internet won't work. Friend of mine has broadband but the server only allows for 125 kbit upstream. Whenever he shares his internet slows down to a halt, speeds around a 4600 bps modem. Don't know why but when he disables sharing he downloads just fine and the internet is fast again. Sucks because he wishes he could share his goodies as fast as he can get them, but he can't.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Ya, I have DSL and set both my DL and UL to unlimited, but I DL at 150kb/sec - 200 kb/sec and only upload at 20kb/sec max, I guess its a line or service limit, but its quite annoying when I'm sending something to a freind and can only send at like 15-20kb/sec.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    56k? One send slot only, keep your speed up and reduce overhead bandwidth.
    Proud member of MDS

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by kildred11@11 May 2003 - 23:39
    Friend of mine has broadband but the server only allows for 125 kbit upstream. Whenever he shares his internet slows down to a halt, speeds around a 4600 bps modem. Don't know why but when he disables sharing he downloads just fine and the internet is fast again. Sucks because he wishes he could share his goodies as fast as he can get them, but he can't.
    Yep, he doesn't have an unlimited upload speed -- which he has found out in spades when he has uploads enabled.

So why doesn't he set uploads to 64 kbit (8 KB/sec) and only 1-3 uploads at a time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast