Thread: Microsoft keyboard F lock button

Hi Guys

I have a Microsoft multi-media keyboard which is OK.

But it comes up with the F lock button off, so that my function keys do not work as function keys, but Open, Close, Send etc which I do not use.

Is there anyway to set up my machine XP so that my keyboard comes up with F Kock key on ?

Regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Nope.
    The daft F-Lock functionality and stupid key arrangement above the cursor keys are the very reasons I left mine with the wife... who has replaced it with a newer M$ board with better design.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    He Chewie, thanks for that, with the stupid design of this keyboard, F key lock, and the new way they layout the Home, Delete, PgUp and PgDn keys vertically rather than horizontally (after 20 years of a standard) its no wonder you gave it to her.

My question is with a trick like that is she still with you ?

I will certainly study the layout of any keyboard I buy in the future. Its a shame really because I really like this keyboard's touch, I seem to make less typos on it than my previous keyboards.

Kind Regards

Digby
    NZ (ex pom - London)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    No, I left the keyboard with her when I moved in to my flat last year.

She bought an all-black one of these:

M$ know how to make a nice keyboard, it's the design they have trouble with.
    I'm seriously considering replacing my M$ Internet keybard with one next time I visit a fair as they're only a tenner there.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hi Guys

I found the answer on Google !

Here is a web-site that has a small utility that changes your registry so that the F lock key is enabled on boot up ! It works a treat !

http://jtsang.mvps.org/scancode_method.html

Chewie with this you might not have had to leave the wife ! (my partner of 20 years is leaving me, due partly to my internet use....)

Kind Regards

Digby
    NZ

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I have the same problem with my logitech keyboard. Damn F-lock is always off by default but since I only restart every couple of weeks when i really need to, or if the power goes out, it doesn't bother me too much.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Torrenter
    I have a similar keyboard as well, it's great for normal use but as it's wireless, pressing any more than one key at a time is not guaranteed to work. Copying and pasting becomes a pain with Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Great design though. I also use the registry fix posted above ^^. Works well