Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Save a Wet Cell Phone

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Source - http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

How to Save a Wet Cell Phone

Ever dropped your cell phone in the sink, or even worse the toilet? Did you ever leave it in your pocket and run it through the washer? It usually means you have to replace your phone, but sometimes if you're fast you can save the phone.
    Steps
    1. Remove the Battery. This is one of the most important steps. Don't take time to think about it, electricity and water do not mix. Cutting power to your phone is a crucial first step in saving it, then remove your SIM card,some or all of your valuable contacts could be stored on your SIM (along with other data). To some people this could be more worth saving than the phone itself. SIM cards survive water damage well but some of the following steps are unnecessary i.e. don't heat it. Just dry it off and leave it aside until you need to connect your phone to your cellular network.
    2. Dry your Phone. Obviously you need to remove as much of the water as soon as you can to prevent it from getting into the phone. Use a towel or a paper towel to remove as much of the water as possible.
    3. Soak in Alcohol. Alcohol is hygroscopic (attracts water), it will dissolve all the water in the phone, which will then pour out of the phone with the alcohol. Any remaining alcohol will evaporate. Alcohol will not harm your phone but may mess up glue (from stickers and the like). Use 95% alcohol, not the regular 70% rubbing type. Do it outside!. If you use alcohol, do not follow the rest of the advice here, instead leave your phone outside for a day or two to dry.
    4. Allow the phone to dry. Since you do not want to ruin your phone or lose all the numbers in your phone book, you need to allow the phone to dry. Don't try putting the battery back on to see if it works as this would risk damaging the phone with a short circuit. Leaving your phone in a bowl of dry rice will help to expedite moisture evaporation.
    5. Heat your Phone. Apply enough heat to your phone to cause the water to evaporate without waterlogging your digital screen. One of the best things you can do to save a cell phone is to set it on the back of your computer monitor or TV screen over the heat vents. This is usually the perfect amount of heat to fix your phone. The convection action of the heat vents will help carry away the moisture in your phone. Leave the phone on the heat for at least 2-3 days. Another option is to leave it overnight in the oven on warm (make sure to take off the battery first).
    6. Test your Phone. After you have waited 3 days, make sure everything is clean and dry looking and re-attach the battery to the phone and see if it works. If your phone does not work repeat step 4. If it still won't work, try taking your cell phone to an authorized dealer. Sometimes they can fix it.

Tips
    • Don't put the battery on for at least 3 days or longer if your digital screen is foggy.
    • Place a piece of satin finish scotch tape over your water damage sticker before you drop your cell phone in the water to prevent the water damage sticker from voiding your warranty. This sticker can usually be found under your battery. It's a small round white sticker, possibly with dots on it. If this sticker gets wet it changes color and your phone is marked for water damage.
    • Remove the tape if you ever have to return your phone for repairs or warranty. (See the note in the 'Warnings' section about doing this!)
    • The best way to dry out your phone is to place it in front of an air conditioner or air conditioning vent. Cold air won't damage your phone (hot air can warp or in extreme cases even melt plastic), and air from an air conditioner is dry, and so will evaporate water faster than you might think (which is why a car air conditioner will de-mist the windshield so effectively, even if the engine hasn't warmed up yet). Warm air from a reverse-cycle air conditioner works even better, of course. If you dry your phone in this way overnight it should be fine by the morning.
    • Use a hairdryer set on warm; it won't melt your head so your phone should be safe.
    • Use a food dehydrator.
    • Use the oven on the warm setting (make sure to take out the battery)

Warnings
    • Don't heat the battery or it could leak acid. If you use an oven or hairdryer, make sure to remove the battery first.
    • If you use alcohol make sure to do so outside, and do not apply heat in any form, not even the gentle heat of a monitor. Do not hook up the bettery till the alcohol smell dissipates.
    • Do not apply heat to your phone other than mentioned above. You don't want to melt or burn your phone.
    • Warranty fraud is naughty! If you dropped your phone in the can with your other 'droppings'--are you really going to send it in for a warranty tech to have to open? Yuck!
    • FYI, Most modern phones have more than one liquid damage indicator on them, only one visible to you (and sales/technician agents), and chances are, if the sticker under the battery is triggered (or would be, with the scotch tape trick), then the odds are that the internal stickers you can't access are tripped as well. This will still result in you paying a voided-warranty fee in the long run, and it may be best to just learn from your mistake (and not make it more financially severe!).
    • Even if all these steps are followed, minerals dissolved in the water can precipitate on solder and component pins, causing corrosion or shorting. Components pins are packed so closely together in a modern cell phone that even a small encrustation can create a short, rendering the phone inoperable.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    ExilE^'s Avatar Metalhead
    Yeah it can be a be ify saving fones but I only did it the once!! did'nt save my phone when it happened but lucky it was only a cheapie!

but yeah I have helped friends save their mobile phones but ya gotta get straight onto it do it right or you can kiss it goodbye!

but nice post man, hope its hopeful to some of the users here

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    How long do you soak it in alcohol?

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Why not get some dry ice, let it melt, then wash the phone with it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I have done something similar.

I was getting in my car after coming out of my best friend's 10-year class reunion and I had my drink in my cup holder.

I was little tipsy and dropped my cellphone in the drink. I was used to putting my cell in that cup holder in the center console.

I immediately pulled it out, took the battery out, removed the face of it, and dried it off as best as possible.

I didn't use it for a week. When I turned it back on, it worked fine.

I never thought about the alcohol bit but funny enough, that's what I dropped the cellphone in to begin with.

I figured that as long as there is no moisture in when there was electrical current then the phone should've been fine. Corrosion was the only thing to worru about and that would've only happened with prolonged exposure to water.

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I have done something similar.

I was getting in my car after coming out of my best friend's 10-year class reunion and I had my drink in my cup holder.

I was little tipsy and dropped my cellphone in the drink. I was used to putting my cell in that cup holder in the center console.

I immediately pulled it out, took the battery out, removed the face of it, and dried it off as best as possible.

I didn't use it for a week. When I turned it back on, it worked fine.

I never thought about the alcohol bit but funny enough, that's what I dropped the cellphone in to begin with.

I figured that as long as there is no moisture in when there was electrical current then the phone should've been fine. Corrosion was the only thing to worru about and that would've only happened with prolonged exposure to water.
    drinking and driving.

My boss lost his phone a few weeks ago and looked around for it eventually finding it outside lying in a puddle of water/mud (must have dropped it when we were carrying ladder into the house).

Wish we knew some of these tips so we could save his phone but i'm guessing if it's been sitting in a puddle of water, turned on, for over an hour there isn't much you can do.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    thanx for the advices

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    yeah, really good ones

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    thanks for the tips. i actually had to throw out an old phone bcoz of water damage

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    never heard soak in alchol , just dont turn it on or else your circuit will get burn and let it dry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast