Thread: Fans

My Mate Has just Given Me Some Of his Big Hefty Case Fans Which He doesnt Need No more And Because They Are Hefty They Make A hella lot o noise So i Was Thinking of just using one witch has an on/off switch on the Front So i Can use it when i want/need to

I Basicly Know Already How To Connect it all but For the Switch i Dont Know if i Should Switch Between
    1. Phase And neutral
    2. Phase
    3. Neutral

Can Any Of you People Help Because i Want this FAn But i Dont Want To Nack Anything up.
    So could you please tell me which wires i should attach to the switch to switch between?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Do you have three wires? If you do there should be a black wire, a red wire and third wire (usually white or yellow). The third wire is used to monitor the RPMs of the fan, you do not want to cut into this one. You want to cut into either the black or the red wire (but not both) which provide a circuit to the fan, and run your switch in series with the fan.

If you only have two wires, that means your fan does not have RPM monitoring, so you can splice either of the wires and put your switch in.

Incase the pc shuts down as some are designed to do when fans malfunction while using the on/off switch you may need to use a multimeter and test the resistance over the fan -
    - Buy an equivalent resistor and a 3way switch
    - Connect the black cable to the power supply and splice one end of the resistor to the middle of the wire (near the switch).
    - Put the other end of the resistor to the center node of the switch and connect the red wire to the switch.

The switch postions will now be: fan on, fan off (the PS will still "think" the fan is there) and shut down.

___|---------R1---------|
    Fan|_______| ____ |PS
    ___|--------I_I_I-------|
    ________ 3Way
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    im Off to do that now Chears CornerPocket.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Since we're on the topic of fans

In Case Of Emergency
    If your fan(s) ever break(s) down
    Use a vacuum cleaner -put the hose on the vents
    it will do the job but after about a week of noisy hell you will experience a total burnout
    so dont get as lazy as i was
    Thank ...... for garantuees

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I also have a fan problem, I would be very thankful if someone had any info for me

For the last week or so my fan has started to sound like it's spinning real fast often when I start a game but sometimes when I'm not doing nothing at all, everything works as normal and the computer doesn't seem hot at all and it never did this before...so I'm a bit confused...anyone know anything about this

thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by TJX@11 May 2003 - 02:18
    I also have a fan problem, I would be very thankful if someone had any info for me

For the last week or so my fan has started to sound like it's spinning real fast often when I start a game but sometimes when I'm not doing nothing at all, everything works as normal and the computer doesn't seem hot at all and it never did this before...so I'm a bit confused...anyone know anything about this

thanks
    What type of fan are you using? What is the rpm specs for it. Could it be time to replace the fan? Could be the bearings are given out, unsure since you did not put the type of fan you have.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"