Thread: Which Tv?

Poster
    Out of these two televisions, which would you opt for?

- Philips 36PW9707
    - Toshiba 36ZP18Q

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    Originally posted by AmarjitSingh@11 May 2003 - 12:13
    Out of these two televisions, which would you opt for?

- Philips 36PW9707
    - Toshiba 36ZP18Q

Thanks
    I would go for: Toshiba 36ZP18Q

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    also i would go with the toshiba

fuck Derby County

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    IMO toshiba's are shit. Just my experience. GL

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I work on TVs. Either brand is good. Brand/quality should not be a factor in your decision. They are both mass produced in staggering amounts(3-500,000 or more for those models alone). Both of those mfg use the same methods(and parts vendors) to produce them. So the odds of getting a defective one is the same. My company repaired over 5000 TVs last year alone. I've seen every brand. Money does not buy quality.

Picture/sound quality is a different story. Use your own judgment there.
    Bring a movie to compare, if possible.

Most importantly, look at the remote and the on-screen displays. Every mfg has their own ideas about ergonomics and accessibility. Yours, mine, and everyone's aptitude varies. Some TVs are more complicated to use than others.

The remote is what you'll be using the most. Best to be comfortable with it.

This is not to mention the inputs. How many? What kind? for example, does it have a DVI input for a HD(high definition) tuner. If not, you'll be stuck using analog inputs instead.

BTW, High definition really won't be widely available for awhile. This is not to say that HD isn't being broadcast. Here in the states a lot of local affiliates are broadcasting a high definition signal. But, there just isn't any content. It will be at least 5 years before enough content will be available to justify the cost. So don't let the salesman fool you with any "HD" sales pitch. It shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

p.s. the average lifespan of a TV(per the mfg.) is about 10 years or so.

Good luck with it...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary@12 May 2003 - 22:17
    BTW, High definition really won't be widely available for awhile. This is not to say that HD isn't being broadcast. Here in the states a lot of local affiliates are broadcasting a high definition signal. But, there just isn't any content. It will be at least 5 years before enough content will be available to justify the cost. So don't let the salesman fool you with any "HD" sales pitch. It shouldn't be a factor in your decision.
    Sorry, but HDTV isn't the trendiest thing here in the UK. But I found the Sony KV36FS76, tell me what you think.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Also, I'm looking for an all in one surround sound system with the following specification:

-MP3 Playback
    -CD-R/RW Playback
    -VCD/S-VCD Playback
    -Optical Digital Output
    -Coaxial Digital Output
    -Digital Decoder
    -Progressive Scan
    -Component Video Output
    -RGB Output
    -S-Video Output
    -SCARTs
    -Remote Control
    -DVD Audio/SACD Playback
    -NTSC-Pal60 Conversion

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    yeagh sure its not at this moment but its growing big time in America and im sure by the time u buy a T.V maybe even in 2 days HD TV industry will grow big time. in a year it will be pretty big i dont have an HD TV but by the yea 2005 regular TV's now should be the same price as an HD TV will be in 2005 due to popularity and well our ever growing "moderness" if thats even a word. but like i said i dont have one but wouldn't mind one

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    AmarjitSingh,
    Sony doesn't make bad TVs. They're geared toward the technically-minded consumer. They tend to be overpriced though(IPO).
    There are plenty of stand-alone DVD players with most, if not all, of those features. Finding one with NTSC and PAL capability will be nearly impossible and finding an-all-in one system probably impossible. There just isn't much consumer demand for NTSC/PAL conversion. (you may be better off getting a stand-alone convertor)Although, I don't know the Europen market very well and I could be wrong regarding that.

Pitbul,
    My main point about HD television is lack of content. There is hardly any of it. Watching regular programming on an HD television is not any different than what we're watching now. The only benefit of an HD television, right now, is for use with a progressive scan(only) DVD player.
    While HD will be the standard by 2006(the FCC may change that), the problem I have with any of the ones available, is the cable companies. They have yet to come up with a standard for plug and play. I mean, nearly 85% of the US has cable and when HD takes affect, we will all need to buy or rent a box from the cable company. Worse still, if you move to a different city and get a different cable company, chances are their box will be different.
    So add it up. HD tv + cable box + no content = waste of money.