Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Drummer

Well, I play drums since 1968 ( I was almost 6 ) and I certainly played along many different kinds of music... personally, I have no difficulties to play neither Scott Raynor's nor Travis Barker's stuffs, but despite my long experience, I still find very difficult to play many parts by, say, Vinnie Colaiuta, Mark Brzezicki, Simon Phillips, Pierre Moerlen, Jack DeJohnette, Max Roach, Manu Katchè, Pierre Favre, Stewart Colepand and many other excellent drummers...
    I can play the major part of their stuffs, but it's really, really hard...indeed, I think that all musicians leave their own tracks and that's the good of Music
    It is a matter of preferences and often people tend to prefer musicians who play the same music that they like to listen to, so one tends, in example, to think that Jean-Luc Ponty is a great violinist because he/she likes the Fusion stuff much and probably he/she never heard about Uto Ughi or Salvatore Accardo playing Niccolò Paganini compositions...well, Ponty can play indeed, but can he really compete with Uto Ughi ?
    Music is SO various and there are SO many things to evaluate...
    ...and then, let's say it, is it really that important HOW good a musician plays his/her own instrument ?
    I like music that makes me dream, that turns my actual mood into a state of grace, that leaves me something to reflect about...NOT musicians that I would be able to imitate...it doesn't make a sense and it is irrilevant, IMHO...
    I love a song in its whole and I still think that the main and most important figure is the Composer / Songwriter: I guess any drummer can easely play any part Ringo played in any Beatles' song, but is there anyone out there who CAN write wonderful songs like many the Beatles did ?

If there's such a composer reading this, then he/she has to know that I'm available to play for free ANY drums, bass and guitar parts in all of his/her songs

My humble suggestion to ALL the musicians and for ALL the instruments...listen to ALL the Music styles and take the time to play ALL the Music styles: you get for sure unexpected surprises and elements that you can easely turn into yours and that will help your own groove and style to grow up !

Take care you all !

2. Music   -   #82
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Neil Pert of RUSH, I watched him wear out 3 sets of drums during the Moving Pictures Tour stop outside of Detroit in the 80's. One heck of a drummer.

3. Music   -   #83
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by ShareDaddy@1 June 2003 - 22:01
    Neil Pert of RUSH, I watched him wear out 3 sets of drums during the Moving Pictures Tour stop outside of Detroit in the 80's. One heck of a drummer.
    Opinion seconded; Peart is a superior example.

Just as an afterthought:

I don't recall their names, but all the percussionists (right from the beginning) Carlos Santana has ever used have been great-remember "Everybody's Everything"?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Music   -   #84
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    hey CC, i'm bumping too
    this thread needs a revival

John Bonham Owns All Drummers!!!
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

5. Music   -   #85
    John Bonham
    DANNY CAREY (ye gods, everyone else fades into insignificance)
    The girl from jack off jill....

Meg White!!!! (bless)

6. Music   -   #86
    pusher's Avatar The New Moral
    Jimmy Chamberlin
    Phil Collins
    and uhh...
    Butch Vig
    The color of this signature is really blue. If you see otherwise, please adjust your monitor settings.

7. Music   -   #87
    Danny Carey
    Joey Jordison
    Neil Pert
    Marco Minnimen

8. Music   -   #88
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Best drummer that I know of: Neil Peart (well no shit eh lol)

runner ups: Joey Jordison and Derek Roddy

everyone else can just fuck off lol, In my opinion, those 3 drummers are the leaders.

I'm just kidding, there are a lot of great drummers out there, but as said before those 3 listed above in my opinion are the best in the field.
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 05-18-2006 at 05:33 AM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. Music   -   #89
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..must be Thomas Lang ..for his humour

10. Music   -   #90
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I just reviewed this thread and realized I'd committed the mortal sin of failing to mention Terry Bozzio, although someone else did; the guy does something new every time he tends his kit.

Phenomenal player.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast