Thread: Problem With My Machine

could anyone please tell me of some good programs to diagnose all of my hardware, for like physical damage.
    I think either my cpu or memory is dieing. click on sumthin and 10 years later somthing happens. i have tried reinstalling windowsxp (2 times) it used to be fine and no probs.

Running
    1800+ xp chip
    768mb ddr333mhz ram
    64mb elsa gladiac (geforce chip)
    gigabyte 7vaxp ultra mb

to be honest i think it is my cpu cause it is running hotter, but i just need to check it somehow
    Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I assume you tried scanning you HD for surface errors, and defragging. Also, use msconfig to prevent all non-essential programs from loading at start-up.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@20 May 2003 - 18:55
    I assume you tried scanning you HD for surface errors, and defragging. Also, use msconfig to prevent all non-essential programs from loading at start-up.
    yeah i done all that.

i dont know its all weird.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    try installing norton system works 2003. that has fixed a few problems i had (not that i knew i had them though )
    <insert signature here>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    While you certainly have plenty in the way of processing power & memory, you didn&#39;t mention your hard-drive. Processors and memory don&#39;t slowly die. Solid state electronics tend to be all-or-nothing. And frankly, would be a rarity as well.

Now, the electro-mechanical components are another story. Your hard-drive could be failing and would certainly give you symptoms such as what you described.

Look at your hard-drive light, listen for the noise. Is it continually "on" (accessing data)during the time it takes to open a program? That&#39;s a sign.

If so, back up your data and have it tested at a local PC shop.
    Or try another one if possible.

And don&#39;t freak out if it is bad, it may still be under warranty. Up until last year, hard-drive mfg. were giving them 3 year warranties. (check the mfg. site)

good luck with it...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by harrycary@21 May 2003 - 00:35
    While you certainly have plenty in the way of processing power & memory, you didn&#39;t mention your hard-drive. Processors and memory don&#39;t slowly die. Solid state electronics tend to be all-or-nothing. And frankly, would be a rarity as well.

Now, the electro-mechanical components are another story. Your hard-drive could be failing and would certainly give you symptoms such as what you described.

Look at your hard-drive light, listen for the noise. Is it continually "on" (accessing data)during the time it takes to open a program? That&#39;s a sign.

If so, back up your data and have it tested at a local PC shop.
    Or try another one if possible.

And don&#39;t freak out if it is bad, it may still be under warranty. Up until last year, hard-drive mfg. were giving them 3 year warranties. (check the mfg. site)

good luck with it...
    my hd is an 80gb maxtor 6 ata133.
    it is pretty new, 6 months old.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty&#39;s sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain