Thread: Stupid Blue Screen

RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    ok, so im getting the blue screen of death which tells me that

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Windows troubleshooter says thats a driver problem, but which one ?

Sometimes it happens when I run an app, sometimes it happens when i hit a link, sometimes it just completly randomly happens

I have a million and one drivers on my pc, does this error relate to any specific one?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or Stop 0x0000000A errors are able to be generated by both software and hardware issues. The message indicates that a kernel mode process or driver attempted to access a memory address that it did not have access to.

This issue can be caused by any of the following possibilities:

Mcafee VirusScan for Windows NT issue
    Windows NT 3.51 upgrade from Windows NT 4.0
    Service Pack
    Driver issue
    Hardware issue

Mcafee VirusScan for Windows NT issue

Exact error is as follows:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000015a, 0x0000001c, 0x00000000, 0x80116bf4)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Mcafee VirusScan for Windows NT 2.5.1(9607) and 2.5.2(9609) are not compatible with Windows NT 4.0

Uninstall Mcafee

Windows NT 3.51 upgrade from Windows NT 4.0

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000015a, 0x0000001c, 0x00000000, 0x80116bf4)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If you have upgraded your computer to Windows NT 4.0 from Windows NT 3.51 and have a server with Gateway Services for Netware to Windows NT 4.0 installed remove the Gateway Services for Netware and reinstall the service to resolve this issue.

Service Pack

STOP 0x0000000a (0x00000006, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, **********) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

********** - This portion may vary

Earlier service packs may have had issues with the TCP handling and updating the Service Pack will resolve the issue. Ensure you have the latest service pack installed in the computer.

Links to locations to download the latest service packs can be found through our Windows NT download section.

Driver issue

Drivers which have errors of their own can also cause the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. Consider updating or reinstalling your drivers (more specifically your network and/or SCSI drivers).

For a listing of driver manufacturer company pages see our drivers page.

Hardware issue

In the event that the above information does not help to resolve your issue it is possible that the computer may be encountering a hardware issue. Attempt to exchange or replace hardware in the computer. Our recommendation would be: RAM / CPU / NIC

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    wow thanks, i dont have nt but XP so i will try the service pack idea

thanks

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I had the same problem with an asus motherboard with 3 pci slots. i have update every driver, bios , install sp1. still the same problem. replace the motherboard a gigabite one with 5 pci slots. the blue screen of death is now something of the past. looks that my motherboard was faulty

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Maybe it's your network card driver that is causing that. Try ping -l 65000 a.b.c.d, where a.b.c.d = your IP, and see if something happens. It could crash my computer a couple of months ago. Disable your firewall when doing that test or it will just ignore your pings.

EDIT: Make sure you save all open documents and close all apps in case your OS crashes.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    That ping is called the ping of death

ping -v igmp 202.202.202.202 -L 65500 -t

that will crash unpatched versions of 98 because it cant handle the packet sizes. xp should be fine.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by 4play@11 May 2003 - 22:28
    That ping is called the ping of death

ping -v igmp 202.202.202.202 -L 65500 -t

that will crash unpatched versions of 98 because it cant handle the packet sizes. xp should be fine.
    Well I had XP. It was a driver problem that caused the BSOD.

A real OS shouldn't display a message because some crap driver crashes. A network driver isn't necessary for the kernel to operate. MS really is stupid!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I had this error once. I updated my drivers and cleared my cmos and it went away.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    0x0000000A (0X00000004, 0x00000000, 0x804F1A9E)

is mine, i think the 1 in F1A9E might be a I, but im not sure, any clues with this? I have updated my drivers but not much luck so far