Thread: Scientists Discover Cause of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Scientists 'discover cause of cot death'
    Via here - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10408803

Spoiler: Show

A close friend of mine lost his child to what the doctors called "Crib Death",
    two years later, they had another child,
    if they had not stayed awake for the first 6 days, they would not have noticed the child getting weaker,
    they called the doctors and they got sent to another hospital 50 km away.
    that child would have also died of "crib death"? -
    it turned out the child has an allergy to fat (milk etc).

"Cot Death" in my view is a bogus explanation for something they can't explain. (UFO)
    Finding out what the child died of is difficult.

It is the absolute worst nightmare for any parent.

300 cribdeaths a year in Britain should push doctors to search more into it. and take precautions.
    In this study they found that the child is unable to have normal reflexes when there is a lack of oxygen. A "disease" they say
    A child within one year old is also incaple of distinguishing between heights and has absolutly no concept of fear - is that a disease also?

Putting the baby on the back seems the most logical, for avoidance of suffocation and availability of head movement, alsocovering baby in a douve pyjama type of thing is wiser than a sheet or douve, prevention of it coveing face.

the horror.

Here are some good comments in reflection of this article. http://digg.com/television/Scientist...Death_Syndrome

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    As new parents ourselves, we were obviously worried about cot death. I agree with you, it's basically something they don't really understand. It's amazing that cot deaths were cut massively once they started telling people to put the babies to sleep on their backs, a complete reversal from 10 years ago.

When I was a baby, the advice was to lay me on my side. When my brother was a baby (2 years later) the advice was to lay him on his front!!!!

[The thinking was, that if he was sick in the night, then he wouldn't choke on it, but studies have shown that babies who are sick and they are on their back, their head instinctively goes to the side.]

Also, it has been linked to people smoking around the baby, and the mother's smoking when pregnant. Both of which happen less often these days, as they did in the past.

This leads me to believe that the vast majority of what people call cot death is suffocation.

The rules we followed were:

1). Lay baby on her back.
    2). Use a "sleeping bag" rather than blankets.
    3). Ensure room not too warm. (19-21 degrees C)
    4). Don't fall asleep on sofa holding baby.
    5). Not taking her anywhere smokey, and forcing grandma to smoke outside.

I got really worried at about 4 months, when she started rolling over in her sleep and spent most of the nights on her front, silly really!

It's a horrible thing to happen. But I don't think you can blame any sort of abnormality in the brain.

I think it's just suffocation.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    As new parents ourselves, we were obviously worried about cot death. I agree with you, it's basically something they don't really understand. It's amazing that cot deaths were cut massively once they started telling people to put the babies to sleep on their backs, a complete reversal from 10 years ago.

When I was a baby, the advice was to lay me on my side. When my brother was a baby (2 years later) the advice was to lay him on his front!!!!

[The thinking was, that if he was sick in the night, then he wouldn't choke on it, but studies have shown that babies who are sick and they are on their back, their head instinctively goes to the side.]

Also, it has been linked to people smoking around the baby, and the mother's smoking when pregnant. Both of which happen less often these days, as they did in the past.

This leads me to believe that the vast majority of what people call cot death is suffocation.

I got really worried at about 4 months, when she started rolling over in her sleep and spent most of the nights on her front, silly really!

It's a horrible thing to happen. But I don't think you can blame any sort of abnormality in the brain.

I think every parent is on edge with infants. I have seen me get out of bed two and three times a night because I thought my daughter had stopped breathing. I did not have that bother with my son. The wee bugger either snored or cried all bloody night.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

I think every parent is on edge with infants. I have seen me get out of bed two and three times a night because I thought my daughter had stopped breathing. I did not have that bother with my son. The wee bugger either snored or cried all bloody night.

'Tis a a punishing endeavor, dealing with the tiny ones.

Dads worry worse than Mums, and don't mention it.

It shortens our lives.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It shortens our lives.
    It would appear that I did not do much worrying.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    It shortens our lives.
    It would appear that I did not do much worrying.
    Who knows?

Maybe you'd have lived to 150...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    How many times have you checked if he/she is still breathing?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    How many times have you checked if he/she is still breathing?
    Constantly.

About 25 years ago, when my kids were infants, my next-door neighbors lost their baby boy to SIDS.

It was horrifying.

-Mark Twain