Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linking 2 pc's to the net?

dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    I want to go wireless and link 2 pc's to an internet connection.

Obviously I need a wireless router, but what hardware do I need for each pc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Look for one with a moveable antenna, like this:
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ufacturer_id=0

These are excellent btw, 100% signal at all times even though the router is right next to the TV and sitting on top of the satellite receiver, and the PCs are 50 meters away.

If you want a matching router, future proof yourself with an ADSL2+ model such as this:
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ufacturer_id=0
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I like D-Link stuff - have been using their stuff for over 2 years.
    Check this for all you want to know about home networking

http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless-starter-kits.asp

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    DoN BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I would recomend Belkin or Linksys routers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I would recommend a router with the new “N” wireless technology. This little baby right here is what I’m currently using. It has unmatched range, I have Excellent signal everywhere in my home and the router is in a closed closet on my upper level. I can be maxing out my internet connection on one PC (both up and download speeds, basically saturating my bandwidth) and still stream full 1080 HD video from my wired storage PC to my wireless laptop. Remember though that most internal laptop wireless receivers only handle up to 54Mbps. If you want to flawlessly stream 1080 HD video you’ll need a wireless PCMCIA card or antenna that can handle AT LEAST 100Mbps. This particular router can pump 300Mbps wirelessly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    try to use all components from the same manufacturer, it will make things easier and less confusing. I like Linksys, personally. Good Luck

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare View Post
    I would recommend a router with the new “N” wireless technology. This little baby right here is what I’m currently using. It has unmatched range, I have Excellent signal everywhere in my home and the router is in a closed closet on my upper level. I can be maxing out my internet connection on one PC (both up and download speeds, basically saturating my bandwidth) and still stream full 1080 HD video from my wired storage PC to my wireless laptop. Remember though that most internal laptop wireless receivers only handle up to 54Mbps. If you want to flawlessly stream 1080 HD video you’ll need a wireless PCMCIA card or antenna that can handle AT LEAST 100Mbps. This particular router can pump 300Mbps wirelessly.
    I guess it would really depend on the person. If they want to spend the money to get a N router, they can. Most people don't really need N and can live with G since you won't be downloading anything off the Internet with speeds of 300Mbps anytime soon.
    If you transfer large files all the time, then N would prob be best for you.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I use linksys but I kind of hate my linksys. I get frequent disconnects on it. I heard decent stuff about netgear and d-link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast