Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For No Particular Reason

Poster
    Like the title said I am making this post for no reason other than I feel like it and you chaps are into books.

I was just given a present. It is a beautiful, leather bound, stitched spine, copy of

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

it is embossed with 22KT gold

The person who gave the book to me knows that I believe him to be the greatest ever American Author.

For anyone who knows these things it is the Easton Press version.

It is signed by the author. As someone who is into books I think it is awesome.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    ok.....you succeeded, I'm jealous now

no really, I like Vonnegut a lot, I've read Slaughterhouse 5 like 10 times since I was 15 and every time I discover new things in it.....

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    The first "real" book I read was God Bless You Mr Rosewater. I was probably 12 or 13.

Prior to that I had only read school books. I just picked it up cos it was lying on a table and started reading it.

I really think that, had it not been for that book, I may not have started reading, which was a life changing experience.

I, like you, have read Slaughterhouse 5 on several occassions. I believe the book was greatly affected by his own experiences during the firebombing of Dresden. Like most people he realised that it had no military significance and that all we had done was destroy a city full of beauty.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    my first book was called brisil face dont rember by whom
    it was a bout a dog that was a foxhound and was vary good

we had it as a reading assinment when i was in 6 grade and i was supost to read 1 chapter a week and do a report on it each week and ended up reading the whole thing in 2 days

so i did the report on the whole book and my teacher was amazed as i was so poor in english i am sure u have all noteced my poor spelling and puntuation
    but i seems reading and writing have nothing to do with each other im more the tech type (left brained i think they call it) and english has no rules too it now if every sound had a letter for it i would be fine but unfortunatly it dosnt

any way since i finished the book so quick my teach said i could just read any book i wanted for the reports and i ended up reading like 30 books that year my brother was all ready in to SiFi and he turn me on to heinlein with are exelent books for a newby reader easly understandable by a junile so that stared me off on my love of books

i am now 42 and have over 6000 books ( 2 whole rooms in my house are nothing but book cases) most all sifi my sifi libary is is bigger then most evey public libarys sifi section that i have been to (and i been to a lot of em)

now i have descoved kazaa and im trying to get all my books in compuer forum but unless something drastic happens ill never give up my hard copys

Btw my list is up to 1790 ebooks so ill be updating my can again soon

ps any one eles haveing a lot of trobble with K-sig when u put too many files in at 1 time? i had to go get sig2dat to do my last list with it cuse ksig just stops responding when i add too many files

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    My first real book was 'The key of magician Moria'. It was about this weird dreamworld with trolls and wizards and fairies....I think it was then I got addicted to reading.....
    If I don't have books around to read I get nervous and cranky

6. Lounge   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    My first "real" book was A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I was in grade three.

The teacher was very pleased.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. Lounge   -   #7
    wow slow starter ay?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, it was the first "big" novel I read all by myself. I started reading when I was two though, reading was always very well encouraged in my house.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    My first book was called Carlottes Webb, I read that till it fell apart.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Curley@12 May 2003 - 12:44
    My first book was called Carlottes Webb, I read that till it fell apart.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast