Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddam sentenced to death

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    We'll see what happens now; there are rumors of some ragged cheering across Iraq, but the Sunnis seem to be upset...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227574,00.html
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why make him a martyr? Return him to power and get our troops out. It would take him the rest of his life, even with his record of cruelty, to catch up on the carnage since he was 'toppled'.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    'Bout time... shoulda killed him when they first found him.. saved all this bullshit he was arguing about.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Why make him a martyr? Return him to power and get our troops out. It would take him the rest of his life, even with his record of cruelty, to catch up on the carnage since he was 'toppled'.
    While I disagree about the relative "carnage", it would be interesting if we, say, turned him over to the U.N. or the World Court and let them return him to power-that way we could escape the Catch-22 of having empowered him to begin with, as well as the blame for having removed him...

As to the question of martyrdom, if he is hung by the very Iraqis he oppressed, I think his being a martyr goes by the boards.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

While I disagree about the relative "carnage",
    it would be interesting if we, say, turned him over to the U.N. or the World Court and let them return him to power-that way we could escape the Catch-22 of having empowered him to begin with, as well as the blame for having removed him...

As to the question of martyrdom, if he is hung by the very Iraqis he oppressed, I think his being a martyr goes by the boards.

At least 655,000 dead. That is carnage in anyones language. I dont think Saddams record would come anywhere near that. Not that I condone any of it.

Rafi, it is not that many years since he was a 'friend', when he was at war with Iran.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I must agree. Of course there will be shouts that America set up a kangaroo court....which would be bullshit.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    He's a martyr for what? He shirley wasn't some jihadist that died in battle.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    At least 655,000 dead. That is carnage in anyones language. I dont think Saddams record would come anywhere near that. Not that I condone any of it.
    That figure is certainly open to debate, but that is not my intent; any loss of life is to be regretted.

There is currently, however, an felt imperative to inflate such figures, and, where Saddam is concerned, a great deal of anecdotal evidence of a gray quality owing to his efforts to hide or suppress it.

The fact is, we may never know that particular truth, and, when comes time to properly attribute coincidental/non-combatant deaths, the insurgents efforts will never be accurately recognized.

Besides which, they are to be excused for their actions, an account they have a note from Allah, and blame for their actions accrues to the coalition by default.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

I can't say I feel any sympathy for him, he probably deserves to be hanged.

I'm not sure that it would cause any noticeable escalation in the violence over the present rising, but to the Sunni's at least he would indeed be a martyr.

It is questionable now that the Iraqi's are better off without him. For sure the Kurds are and that is no bad thing, but the rest of Iraq is suffering. The suffering is at their own hands, not the Americans, but I feel that our presence is fueling things.
    The rest of the world was probably better off with him still in power.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Just seen the thing on the news. one thing that might make the sentence resonate beyond Iraq. He had the Quran with him and made the "God is great" chant.
    I wonder if this will mean anything at all. After all he ruled in a secular way.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast