Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Were the americans more freer after the American Revolution

Poster
    I'm doing an essay in history class, and the question is Were the Americans more freer after the American Revolution. Think as if you are in the early years after the revolution and not 2006.

Yes, No? any points?

I am thinking about going with Yes, they are more free because , now they don't have to pay taxes, they can make their own goverment and rules , and at last they can live in society own their own terms.

For the taxes point i can write that this was one of the reasons the A.R happened , and now that they have won the war , they don't have to pay taxes on items which the Stamp Act , or the different acts enforced.

For the Own Government point , i was thinking of writing that now that they are a seperate entity from Britain, they can make and enforce they own rules and regulations. For example the works of the Constitution, they can now get together and decide on what the constitution should state.

However I do not know what to write for living in society on their own terms, can anyone give me any advice?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Quicky - "more freer " is a double positive, "more free" is muchmore correcter.
    Most of your essay will probably be discussing what "FREE" is.
    good luck cause it is not an easy task.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    They freed themselves from foreign rule to create self rule so they could be said to be more free in that sense and on the whole I would say that home rule always trumps outside rule where one has no say. But what kind of freedom did they gain? Could everyone vote?
    I think it was Thomas Jefferson that said, "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%"
    The bill of rights was written to try to prevent but has over time failed in many ways.

So defining what freedom is and who benefitted at the time will probably be the hardest task. One man's freedom is often another man's oppression.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
    I'm doing an essay in history class, and the question is Were the Americans more freer after the American Revolution. Think as if you are in the early years after the revolution and not 2006.

Yes, No? any points?

I am thinking about going with Yes, they are more free because , now they don't have to pay taxes, they can make their own goverment and rules , and at last they can live in society own their own terms.

For the taxes point i can write that this was one of the reasons the A.R happened , and now that they have won the war , they don't have to pay taxes on items which the Stamp Act , or the different acts enforced.

For the Own Government point , i was thinking of writing that now that they are a seperate entity from Britain, they can make and enforce they own rules and regulations. For example the works of the Constitution, they can now get together and decide on what the constitution should state.

However I do not know what to write for living in society on their own terms, can anyone give me any advice?

Would your History teacher give your otherwise sterling sketch a demerit for mentioning their religious compulsion?

It played as big a role as any other.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    Quicky - "more freer " is a double positive, "more free" is muchmore correcter.
    Most of your essay will probably be discussing what "FREE" is.
    good luck cause it is not an easy task.
    Quickier-your last sentence does not parse well at all, owing to your failure to properly mangle the word "because".
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, the slaves weren't.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post

My, my, picky-picky.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'm doing an essay in history class, and the question is Were the Americans more freer after the American Revolution....

They weren't Americans.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

They weren't Americans.
    Neither were the 'Americans' a bunch of drunken rabble rousing ex convicts etc.

Some of them today would chase a bit of skirt halfway across the globe. They wont accept rejection.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

They weren't Americans.
    Yes, yes that was covered. They were slaves. In fact slaves regarded as being human either.

So uhh...were the slaves freer?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast