Thread: Mad Max

I had a conversation with someone about the first Mad Max movie yesterday with a friend who saw it recently. He said that even though the first movie was filmed in Australia it's set in the United States and even that some of the Aussie actor do bad American accents. I'm positive the 2 sequels are set in Australia but I really can't remember the first film.

Does anyone know if it's really supposed to be the U.S.?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I can't remember, were the cars right hand drive?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DUDE View Post
    I had a conversation with someone about the first Mad Max movie yesterday with a friend who saw it recently. He said that even though the first movie was filmed in Australia it's set in the United States and even that some of the Aussie actor do bad American accents. I'm positive the 2 sequels are set in Australia but I really can't remember the first film.

Does anyone know if it's really supposed to be the U.S.?
    The film is set in Australia.

However, due to the fact that Americans seem to struggle with accents, a lot of the film was redubbed for the USA release.

The version released in the U.S. was re-dubbed because the distributor feared that American audiences would have had problems understanding the thick Australian accents spoken by the actors.
    Source

When the film was first released in America, all the voices, including that of Mel Gibson's character, were dubbed with U.S. accents at the behest of the distributor, American International Pictures, for fear that audiences would not take warmly to actors speaking entirely with Australian accents. Much of the Australian slang and terminology was also replaced with American ones (examples: "See looks!" became "Look see!", "windscreen" became "windshield", "very toey" became "super hot", and "preemie" became "rookie"). The only exceptions to the dubbing were the singing voice of the singer in the Sugartown Cabaret, played by Robina Chaffey, and Officer Jim Goose, played by Steve Bisley, singing as he drives a truck before being ambushed. The original Australian dialogue track was finally released in the U.S. in 2000 in a limited theatrical reissue by MGM, the film's current rights holders (it has since been released in the U.S. on DVD with both the US and Australian soundtracks on separate tracks). The American dubbed version was also the one shown on television in the United Kingdom until relatively recently.
    Source

I imagine the dubbed accents is what is confusing your friend.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Well apart from the cheese post, the answer is there. if it was supposed to be set inthe US the cars would be left hand drive.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    The version released in the U.S. was re-dubbed because the distributor feared that American audiences would have had problems understanding the thick Australian accents spoken by the actors.
    Mel Gibson and chums are "thick Australians"

Seems a bit harsh

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Mel Gibson and chums are "thick Australians"

Seems a bit harsh
    Harsh but fair.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    The film is set in Australia.

However, due to the fact that Americans seem to struggle with accents, a lot of the film was redubbed for the USA release.
    Funny... should have made a bet! Thanks.