Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wikipedia: hacked and infected!

frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    The German version of Wikipedia has been hacked to spread malware to unsuspecting users. Will the sneaky ‘social engineering’ attacks of the hackers ever end?

While the offending pages on the German edition of Wikipedia were quickly removed once discovered, with all versions of the page permanently deleted, according to German news site Heise Online, the ease of which Wikipedia was hacked to be the source of malware has caused shockwaves around the world.

Cleverly using an article about the Blaster worm as cover, they modified the article and placed a link to a so-called ‘fix’, and urged people to download it. Of course, anyone doing so that didn’t have up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware protection would have found malware installed onto their machines, instead of malware being taken away.

To make matters worse, the German hackers then spammed the online German community, urging them to visit the Wikipedia site for information on getting rid of the W32.Blaster worm.

With Wikipedia still seen as an authoritative site, despite recent scandals, many could have easily been fooled into believing the link really did offer a download of value, instead of some nasty malware!

The ‘safe’ nature of the Wikipedia site would also have fooled many browser-based anti-phishing tools specifically designed to protect users from malicious websites.

It just goes to show, it’s getting harder to trust the sites we visit online, while emails we receive should always be suspect, even if they appear to come from a friend.

Wikipedia is one of my favorite websites. why don't they do something productive like attack Microsoft.

Source: http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6921/52/

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by havingfun View Post
    Wikipedia is one of my favorite websites. why don't they do something productive like attack Microsoft.
    Same here, I think alotta people use Wiki especially if you don't something and just want a quick overview/general idea.

That and usually it offers some good links when doing a research paper.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Attack microsoft hackers!!! I bet they would love to be thrashed!!!!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by havingfun

How is that productive when you use a Microsoft OS?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Maybe he's on a MAC...anyways attacking anybody is just wrong. Stop the hate! or die...(jk)
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Maybe he's on a MAC...anyways attacking anybody is just wrong. Stop the hate! or die...(jk)
    I just don't understand the M$ hate is all.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    How is that productive when you use a Microsoft OS?
    I would get a good chuckle out of it when I see it in the news anyway I use linux too.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8

Arrow

I never have either~! I like M$, and of course I know the story of how Bill got a hold of MS-DOS...but still it's legit.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9

I never have either~! I like M$, and of course I know the story of how Bill got a hold of MS-DOS...but still it's legit.
    How'd he get a hold of it?

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    As I heard from my Comp. Tech instructor:

Gates got alot of his notes from study groups in school, so I guess he leeched off of others at times.

Then one of the guys from the study groups created a pre-MSDOS in his garage and Gates was 'secretly' impressed, but the other guy thought is was shit.

Gates bought the guy's software from him legally, so he owned all rights to it. That's what he used to build M$ on.

As the story goes...Search on Wiki it probably has something on it. But anyways doesn't really bother me that much. I still hold respect for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast