Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Election America!

backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I voted. The wait wasn't too long. I think maybe 1/2 an hour total. I was happy to see a lot of people out voting for this midterm election.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    So if the democrats control both what effect does that have on POTUS. Does he need them to agree legislation / policy or can he just do what he wants, since he can't be re-elected anyway.

And also, which is the upper house and what is the difference between them.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    The senate would be the upper house I believe. I'm not sure how comparable it is to the british system though.

Bush would have to reach out to democrats for majority support now. Of equal importance, the possibility for an investigation into the Iraqi matter would be open...

As it stands now the democrats took the congress by a large margin, while barely taking control of the senate (by as little as a few thousand votes in their favour in some states); while the republicans can demand a recount in those states...
    Last edited by ahctlucabbuS; 11-08-2006 at 07:50 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I think only half of the seats in the two houses come up for election every two years. Anyone elected sits a term of 4 years. The Presidential Election takes place in two years time. It means that halfway through a Presidents 4 year term, he/she can lose control of both houses. I think that has happened this time. Have not seen the full results yet. As I said 'I think'.

The Americans will correct me soon.
    Yes, he will.

Seats in the House (total of 435) are two-year terms, and stand for election coincidental with presidential elections and mid-term as well.

Senate terms are six years, and 1/3 of the 100 seats stand for election every two years.

The House is in Democrat hands now, and I am quite sure the Senate will follow when results are officialized.

Does anyone think the Republicans cheated at all (at all).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I think only half of the seats in the two houses come up for election every two years. Anyone elected sits a term of 4 years. The Presidential Election takes place in two years time. It means that halfway through a Presidents 4 year term, he/she can lose control of both houses. I think that has happened this time. Have not seen the full results yet. As I said 'I think'.

The Americans will correct me soon.
    Yes, he will.

Seats in the House (total of 435) are two-year terms, and stand for election coincidental with presidential elections and mid-term as well.

Senate terms are six years, and 1/3 of the 100 seats stand for election every two years.

The House is in Democrat hands now, and I am quite sure the Senate will follow when results are officialized.

Does anyone think the Republicans cheated at all (at all).
    Thanks for the correction.

Is the Senate elections 33, 33, 34 or do they have another system?

Yes.
    Last edited by bigboab; 11-08-2006 at 09:05 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Just as Hilary may be moving into the Whitehouse the chances are the Conservatives could be regaining England (not sure if Scotland will still be part of the UK by then).

Will J2 be taking an extended vacation in a Cotswold village and become a real ale buff?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Is the Senate elections 33, 33, 34 or do they have another system?

Yes.
    As to your first, it is done in rotation, I don't recall which year of the rotation it is, and it doesn't really matter.

What sort of Republican cheating do you believe took place?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Just as Hilary may be moving into the Whitehouse the chances are the Conservatives could be regaining England (not sure if Scotland will still be part of the UK by then).

Will J2 be taking an extended vacation in a Cotswold village and become a real ale buff?
    If Hillary ever moves back into the White House, you will have as houseguests myself and the Missus, as well as four cats and a retrieving dog.

I am an ale buff, but would beg your expertise in learning the fineries of rampant consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    I don't understand USA elections (is this like the equivalent of our local elections?) but that Hilary Clinton chap seems pleased with herself so that must be a good thing.
    Hillary really showed what she was made of this time around.

A few facts:

She deigned her Republican opponent not worthy of a debate, and did precious little campaigning, as to do so would have been seen as acknowledging her competitor, which she was not about to do; she treated the election as if she were running unopposed.

She won by a ridiculous margin.

She still managed to spend $30 million on her re-election, which is some sort of record for an incumbent.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    As to your first, it is done in rotation, I don't recall which year of the rotation it is, and it doesn't really matter.

What sort of Republican cheating do you believe took place?

If Hillary ever moves back into the White House, you will have as houseguests myself and the Missus, as well as four cats and a retrieving dog.

I am an ale buff, but would beg your expertise in learning the fineries of rampant consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    I don't understand USA elections (is this like the equivalent of our local elections?) but that Hilary Clinton chap seems pleased with herself so that must be a good thing.
    Hillary really showed what she was made of this time around.

A few facts:

She deigned her Republican opponent not worthy of a debate, and did precious little campaigning, as to do so would have been seen as acknowledging her competitor, which she was not about to do; she treated the election as if she were running unopposed.

She won by a ridiculous margin.

She still managed to spend $30 million on her re-election, which is some sort of record for an incumbent.
    Hilary sucks ass.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Hilary sucks ass.
    Probly why she won.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20

Do you think that the Conservatives will win the next General Election.

Maybe if Gordon is made leader, the English have always had problems with the party having a Scottish (or Welsh) leader.

Tony did a great job of convincing them he was actually English.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast