Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Election America!

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Am I missing something? Nearly a whole page about the Republicans failing to beat a dead candidate, only to be cancelled out by a sentence at the bottom pointing out that a Democrat failed to beat a dead Republican.
    Well I was wondering just how it could be legal to run a dead candidate at all.
    I think both campaigns were disgraceful for doing so. Although one has to wonder about the voters that knowingly voted for a dead candidate

We have some incredibly bad election rules, Foley's name and delay should not have been on the ballot for example, it's bad for democracy, but I really find it hard to believe that it's legal to run a dead candidate.
    It would appear that for Congress one has to be above a certain age, a citizen of the US for a certain time and resident in the state you represent. Given that being dead sort of precludes you from being resident anywhere I tend to concur that it would be illegal to put forward a dead person as a candidate for election.

Do you think something is going to be done about this, or will it be just another example of something the rest of the World can pour scorn on, in relation to your political system.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

It is of utmost importance for those with nary a point to talk indirectly and try and sound intelligent when they are not.
    Would that you could adequately manage the part about "sound (-ing) intelligent..."

"and try and
    ??????

How about "and try to"?

Honestly...
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    In a way you can understand? I hereby challenge you to express the sentence above in a more confusing way.
    Insofar as you did not cite the latter sentence of my post I will assume you had no problem understanding it.

Overlay the first (quoted) with the second (unquoted) and you will discover the only relevant condition bearing on American politics.
    I figured it out on about the 3rd attempt, after having looked up what specie meant, but i still don't think its technically good english (or even merkin) and its a completely unnecessarily complicated way of expressing the sentence

Also which is the latter sentence? your original post had half a dozen sentences in it.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    underground33's Avatar Member BT Rep: +2
    It would appear that for Congress one has to be above a certain age, a citizen of the US for a certain time and resident in the state you represent. Given that being dead sort of precludes you from being resident anywhere I tend to concur that it would be illegal to put forward a dead person as a candidate for election.

Do you think something is going to be done about this, or will it be just another example of something the rest of the World can pour scorn on, in relation to your political system.
    my ratio

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

Would that you could adequately manage the part about "sound (-ing) intelligent..."

"and try and
    ??????

How about "and try to"?

Honestly...
    :busyrod: Quality

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post

Insofar as you did not cite the latter sentence of my post I will assume you had no problem understanding it.

Overlay the first (quoted) with the second (unquoted) and you will discover the only relevant condition bearing on American politics.
    I figured it out on about the 3rd attempt, after having looked up what specie meant, but i still don't think its technically good english (or even merkin) and its a completely unnecessarily complicated way of expressing the sentence

Also which is the latter sentence? your original post had half a dozen sentences in it.
    I must confess I built it for JP's edification; perhaps that will suffice as explanation.

Actually, I am surprised I hooked you, Ian-Busyman much less so.

He's always ready and willing.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

??????

How about "and try to"?

Honestly...
    :busyrod: Quality
    :fixed:
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58

Let me describe this to you in a way you can understand.

Politics in the United States is conducted by the two primary parties par the Soviet/U.S. Cold War, 1960's specie, with an occasional third-party acting the role of China.

If you remember anything at all about that period, you should recall that mutually-assured destruction was the modus from which all decisions were considered or made.

Small leap, now:

While government in the U.S. doesn't actually function, it's spasmodic urge to commit politics occasionally allows it to, um.....happen.

As an unfortunate side-effect, each loaf of product contains a wee bit of Frankenstein's monster.

Fact.

BTW-

How's that for a brilliant and succinct summation.
    Would this particular Frankenstein monster happen to come from Texas? If so, I cant believe that you wrote the above quote.
    No, by that I meant systemic flaws will not allow any legislation which might be described as brilliant, pure, or even focused.

Instead we get massive, pork-laden waste, or incredible stinginess, pseudo-enlightenment, or utter stupidity.

Example:

Our government is absolutely flummoxed by an out-of-control illegal immigrant problem.

How fucking dumb is that.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    :fixed:
    Would that you could adequately manage to fix it.

You are arrogant for no reason.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60

Would this particular Frankenstein monster happen to come from Texas? If so, I cant believe that you wrote the above quote.
    No, by that I meant systemic flaws will not allow any legislation which might be described as brilliant, pure, or even focused.

Instead we get massive, pork-laden waste, or incredible stinginess, pseudo-enlightenment, or utter stupidity.

Example:

Our government is absolutely flummoxed by an out-of-control illegal immigrant problem.

How fucking dumb is that.
    Maybe the Dems can do something about that....all a dat.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast