Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Election America!

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Am I missing something? Nearly a whole page about the Republicans failing to beat a dead candidate, only to be cancelled out by a sentence at the bottom pointing out that a Democrat failed to beat a dead Republican.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Flake is another one, yes.

One of that new faces in the Republican party-you'll be hearing more from him.

I don't watch 60 Minutes very often....did you hear Ed Bradley had died?

I was a bit non-plussed at the news.

Oh wait- there's more, so much more...
    Wow I can't believe you don't watch 60 Minutes (very often)!

60 Minutes gets stories that I don't normally hear about or rather, they delve and get the meat of a story and get interviews that no one else comes close too.
    60 Minutes hasn't done anything of note for years.

They have gone from being the oldest and best to merely the oldest.
    Name a better TV mag. Dateline? The Catch-A-Perv episodes were great.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Wow I can't believe you don't watch 60 Minutes (very often)!

60 Minutes gets stories that I don't normally hear about or rather, they delve and get the meat of a story and get interviews that no one else comes close too.
    60 Minutes hasn't done anything of note for years.

They have gone from being the oldest and best to merely the oldest.
    Name a better TV mag. Dateline? The Catch-A-Perv episodes were great.
    I don't find any of them compelling.

At all (at all).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    In a situation such as this surely your whole system of Government becomes pointless.

Congress just won't led POTUS do anything and vice versa. You will have a Government in perpetual conflict. Or does it not work like that in real life. Do they manage to reach working compromises.
    Let me describe this to you in a way you can understand.

Politics in the United States is conducted by the two primary parties par the Soviet/U.S. Cold War, 1960's specie, with an occasional third-party acting the role of China.

If you remember anything at all about that period, you should recall that mutually-assured destruction was the modus from which all decisions were considered or made.

Small leap, now:

While government in the U.S. doesn't actually function, it's spasmodic urge to commit politics occasionally allows it to, um.....happen.

As an unfortunate side-effect, each loaf of product contains a wee bit of Frankenstein's monster.

Fact.

BTW-

How's that for a brilliant and succinct summation.
    Last edited by j2k4; 11-10-2006 at 11:57 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Am I missing something? Nearly a whole page about the Republicans failing to beat a dead candidate, only to be cancelled out by a sentence at the bottom pointing out that a Democrat failed to beat a dead Republican.
    Well I was wondering just how it could be legal to run a dead candidate at all.
    I think both campaigns were disgraceful for doing so. Although one has to wonder about the voters that knowingly voted for a dead candidate

We have some incredibly bad election rules, Foley's name and delay should not have been on the ballot for example, it's bad for democracy, but I really find it hard to believe that it's legal to run a dead candidate.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Politics in the United States is conducted by the two primary parties par the Soviet/U.S. Cold War, 1960's specie, with an occasional third-party acting the role of China.
    In a way you can understand? I hereby challenge you to express the sentence above in a more confusing way.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    In a way you can understand? I hereby challenge you to express the sentence above in a more confusing way.
    It is of utmost importance for those with nary a point to talk indirectly and try and sound intelligent when they are not.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Insofar as you did not cite the latter sentence of my post I will assume you had no problem understanding it.

Overlay the first (quoted) with the second (unquoted) and you will discover the only relevant condition bearing on American politics.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    It is of utmost importance for those with nary a point to talk indirectly and try and sound intelligent when they are not.
    Would that you could adequately manage the part about "sound (-ing) intelligent..."

"and try and
    ??????

How about "and try to"?

Honestly...

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    In a situation such as this surely your whole system of Government becomes pointless.

Congress just won't led POTUS do anything and vice versa. You will have a Government in perpetual conflict. Or does it not work like that in real life. Do they manage to reach working compromises.
    Let me describe this to you in a way you can understand.

If you remember anything at all about that period, you should recall that mutually-assured destruction was the modus from which all decisions were considered or made.

Small leap, now:

While government in the U.S. doesn't actually function, it's spasmodic urge to commit politics occasionally allows it to, um.....happen.

As an unfortunate side-effect, each loaf of product contains a wee bit of Frankenstein's monster.

Fact.

BTW-

How's that for a brilliant and succinct summation.
    Would this particular Frankenstein monster happen to come from Texas? If so, I cant believe that you wrote the above quote.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast