Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to torrent downloading

Unsure

Im looking for a little guidance. Im new to torrents. I just downloaded BitTorrent client and have been bouncing around on different sites downloading torrents. Ive got about 30 queued up in my client but ive only got three that are connected and downloading. also, theyre only downloading at 1-15kb/s. not good. what am i doing wrong? i went to cnet's bandwidth meter to verify its not my connection speed and i metered my connection at 2850kb/s. very fast, right?

ive been downloading most of my torrents from torrent-finder.com. is this site not good? what am i doing wrong? thank you in advance.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    first off I suggest you get a better BitTorrent client like for example Utorrent get it at link below.
    http://www.utorrent.com/

Then you need to forward your ports on your router so you are connectable, if you need more info on this check out the site below and just look for your router model and click on it to see a guide on how to do it, since doing this will help make a you better sharer/seeder.
    http://www.portforward.com

Also I suggest you check Utorrents forums and guides section on that link I gave for more info on how to setup Utorrent and get any answers you may have on utorrent there.

Last but not least just hang around and I am sure sooner or later you will be able to show some proof of a good sharing record and get an invite to a private site or you can look for one that has open sign-ups which makes it semi private, these sites are usally faster since there a share ratio in effect and it keeps the people from just download and not sharing.

Also check out the invite secton here once you pass the trial period and have enough posts.

You should also go register at TPG since they have a ton of help in the BT world including listing of semi-private sites that have open signups.

http://thepeergroup.net/

Cheers
    DKre8ive1
    Last edited by DKre8ive1; 11-09-2006 at 06:54 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Moonspell13's Avatar Saltwater... BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    As already said, it's suggested that you use utorrent as your client.. Also note that public sites are so slow because of the great amount of leechers vs. seeders and also that many of the ppl put upload limits since there's no ratio and stuff like that that the private sites have.. I also think you should go to TPG (look previous post) and start using some of the open signup sites there, which need ppl anyway.. don't forget to read the rules of each site.. and to learn what Hit and Run is and how to avoid it..

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    i went ahead and downloaded uTorrent. and yes, this client is much better than BitTorrent. i plan to research more on ports, my router, and firewalls. i want to participate as much as possible (lots of bandwidth) and protect my system at the same time. do you guys recommend a particular antivirus suite? firewall? is Windows firewall sufficient?

also, how do i get involved with invite sites? how do i begin talking to members without just begging. i have alot to offer in the way of files and music knowledge (upcoming and rare artists) so i want to get involved!

thank you for your responses.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    oh another thing, i just want to say that torrents are the most exciting thing ive seen since napster was free.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I use zone alarm firewall and if ya want to talk to a certain member just be kind and surely they will reply!!!! Also just get PeerGuardian.

Edit:- MY 1000'th POST
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    where do i find the members? link say for instance i want to join Oink (i do), how do i go about proving that ide be a valued member?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    As mentioned before ussually you have to have some sort of profe to show others that you can maintain a somewhat descent ratio.
    (I recommend signing up for some of the Private sites that are private but open signups.)
    Once you get a descent ratio on one of these sites you can show people you know how to maintain a descent ratio and more than likely get invited to some of the invite only sites.

If you have any questions feel free to pm some of the people who ussually comment in threads... I personally feel most people here including me are more than happy to help other people out.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    thank you Melvin.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvinmeow View Post
    As mentioned before ussually you have to have some sort of profe to show others that you can maintain a somewhat descent ratio.
    (I recommend signing up for some of the Private sites that are private but open signups.)
    Once you get a descent ratio on one of these sites you can show people you know how to maintain a descent ratio and more than likely get invited to some of the invite only sites.

If you have any questions feel free to pm some of the people who ussually comment in threads... I personally feel most people here including me are more than happy to help other people out.
    Also if he is to request invites he needs to do so in the bittorent invite section. As he is a new member he will need to wait 30 days before proceeding into the bittorent section and actually post a thread.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast